A Sigh of Relief on MPAs?

Leon Roskilly

Guest challenge
Simple answer "YES" they have to to comply with regulations and they use various methods according to terrain that is what makes off shore wind farm so expensive to install.

Ken.

Have not got much (if any) experience of working in close proximity to wind farms. But would they not have some kind of exclusion zone around them, like the majority of gas and oil installations do?

Would be interested to find out.

Regards,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken.

Have not got much (if any) experience of working in close proximity to wind farms. But would they not have some kind of exclusion zone around them, like the majority of gas and oil installations do?

Would be interested to find out.

Regards,

Hello Challenge

problem is the sites cover such large areas, the one in question will have 300 turbines in it, all connected by a spider web of cables, the proposed site is on and around a couple of sand banks, like sand dunes in a desert these sands move all the time, I know of areas where just a couple of years ago there was 10 or 12 fathoms of water at low water, now there is less than 1 fathom, other areas the reverse has happened, unless the cables are buried down into the clay layer under the sand I doubt it will be possible to stop the cables from becoming exposed at times, that is why they want all fishing activities excluded from the site.

I think there is a huge site planed for south of you, stretching from Flambourgh Head pretty near to the wash,no problem with the ground there, exept most of it has lobster pots on it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge
Hello Challenge

problem is the sites cover such large areas, the one in question will have 300 turbines in it, all connected by a spider web of cables, the proposed site is on and around a couple of sand banks, like sand dunes in a desert these sands move all the time, I know of areas where just a couple of years ago there was 10 or 12 fathoms of water at low water, now there is less than 1 fathom, other areas the reverse has happened, unless the cables are buried down into the clay layer under the sand I doubt it will be possible to stop the cables from becoming exposed at times, that is why they want all fishing activities excluded from the site.

I think there is a huge site planed for south of you, stretching from Flambourgh Head pretty near to the wash,no problem with the ground there, exept most of it has lobster pots on it.

Thanks for that wurzel.

I remember experiencing big movements of sand gravel etc when I was commercial fishing. Have lost sets of gear when trawling because of objects that have become uncovered because of such movements.

We (with anglers) have also experienced wrecks being covered with sand only to go back and find them uncovered the following year.

I believe that static gear men have also lost plenty of gear when there pots have been covered with sand after a strong tide and a heavy sea.

I will have a word with slackline; he worked on a few ships that use to lay pipes and cables...

Regards.

Edited by challenge

Nah, not a chance, not at Flamborough anyway, nearest one is about 35 miles south. The Wash, now thats a different matter.

Seems a tad strange to be building turbines on shifting sands, especially after the experience of Scroby Sands. Why invest millions of £££'s in a wind farm only for them to fall into the sea, I think there is a slight amount of over exaggeration going on here. Wurzel I'd be interested to know where you are getting 55ft to 65ft of accretion, is this offshore or inshore, I'd keep it quiet before Hanson or Westminster find out, you'll have even less grounds then!!!!

There are as yet no specific total exclusion to static gears, I've not heard of any bans on sea angling within the wind farm sites other than the recommended 50m exclusion around the turbines. I know that there is exclusion for mobile gears on H & S grounds, which obviously makes sense. I doubt however, that even Wurzel could catch and land a multicore power cable from a fleet of nets, apart from the fact that he mostly uses drift nets anyway, so I guess he will be excluded from windfarm sites and compensated accordingly.

The cables will be trenched and backfilled, including the landfall cable and offshore network (to hub). The depth of the cable sub-seabed will depend on the substratum and erosion profile, hard compact sea bed types may only need to be trenched to 1m, softer beds may be required beyond 2m+.

Guest challenge

I think it’s been discussed on here before that if you where to take all the 500 meter exclusion zones that they have around installations in the North Sea and put them together, you would have much more than an area that would cover the wash.

Nah, not a chance, not at Flamborough anyway, nearest one is about 35 miles south. The Wash, now thats a different matter.

Seems a tad strange to be building turbines on shifting sands, especially after the experience of Scroby Sands. Why invest millions of £££'s in a wind farm only for them to fall into the sea, I think there is a slight amount of over exaggeration going on here. Wurzel I'd be interested to know where you are getting 55ft to 65ft of accretion, is this offshore or inshore, I'd keep it quiet before Hanson or Westminster find out, you'll have even less grounds then!!!!

There are as yet no specific total exclusion to static gears, I've not heard of any bans on sea angling within the wind farm sites other than the recommended 50m exclusion around the turbines. I know that there is exclusion for mobile gears on H & S grounds, which obviously makes sense. I doubt however, that even Wurzel could catch and land a multicore power cable from a fleet of nets, apart from the fact that he mostly uses drift nets anyway, so I guess he will be excluded from windfarm sites and compensated accordingly.

The cables will be trenched and backfilled, including the landfall cable and offshore network (to hub). The depth of the cable sub-seabed will depend on the substratum and erosion profile, hard compact sea bed types may only need to be trenched to 1m, softer beds may be required beyond 2m+.

Hello Doc

If it works have look

Hello Doc

No exaggeration at all, I could show you several areas were this and more has happened, inshore as well as off shore.

As far as I'm aware all fishing activities are to be excluded, from the London Array site anyway, it was a lot easier than trying to work out who could possibly do what with in the site.

As for as being compensated accordingly, I very much doubt that.

The chances are that if the government turn them into MPA's they won't have to pay anything.

Is it possible for softer beds be trenched down to 20 meters?

I know that map exaggerats the areas a bit, but what have they got planned that we don't know about yet.

post-6262-1163526455_thumb.jpg

Hello Challenge

I like the Doc would be highly surprised if they constructed wind farms on such unstable strata, if the depth was at its' greatest on construction it would be very easy but not really feasable sat on top of 10 fathoms of shifting sand.

Angling would not cause any problems to the cables if they were exposed, just kiss goodbye to your rig :lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Angling would not cause any problems to the cables if they were exposed, just kiss goodbye to your rig

What about the ships anchor, remember Jaws 2.

Ken I think it is more to do with saftey of divers, the same reason angling from the oil rigs was stoped.

Exclusion zones will probably be needed to keep terrorists from blowing up the turbines.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net