What saltwater 10#

stevem

Steve

I take both a 12# and an 8# to Cuba so I guess the 10# is a compromise.

Where about in Cuba are you off to? I have fished the Jardines del Rey of Cayo Guillermo regularly and can confirm the fishing is excellent.

Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You can't go by make alone - some rods are great, others from the same line but in a different weight are aweful.

Talk to Oz at www.uksaltwaterflies.com he is a Fulling Mill stockist, and others - I think the #10 is OK, but he will guide you honestly.

I use a #10 for pike and bass when using big flies - I also use an #8 (Loomis Cross Current, glorious rod) the #10 is an Orvis and they do a lovely #10 in the Trident TLS at about what you are willing to pay.

DON'T buy a rod until you have tried it - keep your money in your pocket until you can go somehwere to try that particular rod out. Your casting style will differ from the person selling it to you - what they think is a great rod might not suit you, and you then hate it. Worth paying a bit more for a rod that you CAN use, than buying a cheaper one that you can't! For that very reason i am not going to recommend any particular rod - but the Fulling Mill is a good in some weights, the TLS is good in a #10, the GRX is beauty in #6, but the heavier ones are a bit of a broomstick. You might like a stiff rod, I prefer one with a bit of feel in the middle (go on, make something of that, I've fed you the line....)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Steve,

I have the Fullingmill gold in 5# and it is a very good rod for the money ( it's been admired by others who own far more expensive rods) havent tried it in 10 # though.

I also have Fullingmills Ti4 series in 8 and 10 # , these have proved very capable rods for Striped Bass and Bluefish and i think the 10# would suit your needs.....the only other rod i have that i think would be suitable is one from TFO , i have the TiCrX in 9# and i'm sure that would do as well.

All these rods have a lifetime warrenty.

But as Simon says, try before you buy if you can ....fly rods are a very personal thing, and what one person loves may feel like a lifeless poker to another :yucky:

I'd second Austen http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/ as a source for info and rods....he waffels on a bit but is a helpfull well travelled chap who should be able to assist.

Dave :)

Edited by Clouser

Steve

I take both a 12# and an 8# to Cuba so I guess the 10# is a compromise.

Where about in Cuba are you off to? I have fished the Jardines del Rey of Cayo Guillermo regularly and can confirm the fishing is excellent.

Tony U

I'm off to Cayo Guillermo, and have read the flats at Paredon can be good. I've not heard of the Jardines del Rey. Are they far away, will I need a guide?

I'm off to Cayo Guillermo, and have read the flats at Paredon can be good. I've not heard of the Jardines del Rey. Are they far away, will I need a guide?

Steve M

I have fished Cayo Guillermo for the past few years and know the area well, Cayo paradon Grande offers brilliant bone fishing but you will need a guide and a taxi or a car hied for the day as it is around 80Klicks from the Island.

The best fly fishing guide is a guy called Dunieski who operates out of El Baga National Park, the Cubanacan rep who will operate out of your Hotel should be able to put you in touch.

Which Hotel are you staying at as numbers of bones come in to the Hotel beaches on ealy morning high tides and Tarpon show in the creeks.

There is also good fishing in the mangroves around the back of the island you should be able to sort out a boat from the guys who run the yachts, yaks and pedallos from your hotel.

PM me if you need more details.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve M

I have fished Cayo Guillermo for the past few years and know the area well, Cayo paradon Grande offers brilliant bone fishing but you will need a guide and a taxi or a car hied for the day as it is around 80Klicks from the Island.

The best fly fishing guide is a guy called Dunieski who operates out of El Baga National Park, the Cubanacan rep who will operate out of your Hotel should be able to put you in touch.

Which Hotel are you staying at as numbers of bones come in to the Hotel beaches on ealy morning high tides and Tarpon show in the creeks.

There is also good fishing in the mangroves around the back of the island you should be able to sort out a boat from the guys who run the yachts, yaks and pedallos from your hotel.

PM me if you need more details.

Tony

Thanks to all for your help with What 10#. (couldn't pm you Tony i've not had enough posts, but thanks for the info. staying at the cojimar and I have found cuba mania)

After reading this and other forums I have compromised and gone for a 9#! ( redington cps) . I got a good price (£182) and feel this rod will get more use on our shores.

Cheers

Steve

I always stay at the Cojimar (though its not to everyones taste), speak to Alex at the boats if you want to arrange fishing on the hobby cat or the Kayaks or arrange a trip to the mangroves.

The El Baga rep who will put you in touch with Dunieski or Jordan the two fishing guidesd who operate out of the Park is always in reception most days and the park itself is also worth a visit, though not for fishing.

If you want to contact me look at the website detailed in my profile and email me through the contact address there.

Tony

Tony