Virus help please

Steve Burke

First of all thanks to all you guys for helping us out with this. :sun:

As regards our wireless security - I've read the blurb that comes with the Netgear WG311 router and nowhere does it tell you what to do to make it secure - doesn't even mention security. I've been on to Netgear's website and they do have an Adobe file with instructions about WEP security etc but I'm afraid I fell at the first hurdle. I'm good on operating software but don't understand the internal workings so don't go there! Any help on this would be great.

In reply to Jeepster's question we don't live in a built up area, we're in a small village, down a cul-de-sac with open fields behind the houses opposite.

I've just run Windows Defender and it tells me that my computer is running normally. Spyware Doctor said I had 12 low risks in temp files and cookies but these have now been cleared out. Cookies have to ask permission so don't know how these got through as I'm very careful which ones I allow and then usually only as temporary ones.

Cheers

Peggy

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rootkit report looks fine.

There's a couple of things on Peggie's hijackthis report that you should get rid of, but I wouldn't think they're likely to cause the problems you've got.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL,S

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - htp://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/...?p=ZNxdm824JFGB

(I've slightly changed 08 above so that people can't accidentally click on it!).

Tick both of these, click the Fix button, then reboot the PC.

If things still don't improve, can you describe the symptoms a bit more?

Just to let you Know Peggy(IS your REAL name Margaret??) And Steve, a friend of mine just had horrendous problems getting on Broadband!! I told him to try loading an old copy of AVG and he now has quarantined 216 Viruses!!! Needless to say he has ditched his copy of ****** and having read this thread is glad I did!!

Hope you get the wireless sorted!! Had as you would expect LOADS of help and got mine done! But I had to logon to a site to do it!! Try searching for wireless with my name??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Just to let you Know Peggy(IS your REAL name Margaret??)

No it's Peggy

And Steve, a friend of mine just had horrendous problems getting on Broadband!! I told him to try loading an old copy of AVG and he now has quarantined 216 Viruses!!! Needless to say he has ditched his copy of ****** and having read this thread is glad I did!!

We're not trying to get on to Broadband, have had it for about 2 years now. We have AVG and have just up-graded to the newer version. It scans daily as does SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, Zone Alarm plus we use AdAware and Swat-It. Still the little devils gets through! :schmoll:

Hope you get the wireless sorted!! Had as you would expect LOADS of help and got mine done! But I had to logon to a site to do it!! Try searching for wireless with my name??

Our wireless is working fine, it's just that it's not secure and it's a chink in our armour we want to close. However if you've any further info that could help with that would be grateful

Cheers

Peggy

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Hi,

The WG311 is the wireless card (in the back of the PC) not the router model.....

Open your browser and copy and paste this into it http://192.168.0.1

This should log you into the router, if it asks for password etc the defaults are ADMIN and PASSWORD (not sure which way round :()

The first screen should then tell you what the router model is...

Still having any virus related problems? I normally find that AVG with Trend is enough for all but the real nasty crap....

Hi,

The WG311 is the wireless card (in the back of the PC) not the router model.....

Open your browser and copy and paste this into it http://192.168.0.1

This should log you into the router, if it asks for password etc the defaults are ADMIN and PASSWORD (not sure which way round :()

The first screen should then tell you what the router model is...

Still having any virus related problems? I normally find that AVG with Trend is enough for all but the real nasty crap....

Thanks Slap, realised that after I'd posted and in fact went on to the site via our disk. Secured the site now.

The rootkit report looks fine.

There's a couple of things on Peggie's hijackthis report that you should get rid of, but I wouldn't think they're likely to cause the problems you've got.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL,S

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - htp://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/...?p=ZNxdm824JFGB

(I've slightly changed 08 above so that people can't accidentally click on it!).

Tick both of these, click the Fix button, then reboot the PC.

If things still don't improve, can you describe the symptoms a bit more?

Thanks, have done that and the message I was getting on 'boot-up' has now disappeared.

We've now re-running SpyBot etc for one last time but all the programs are coming back clear so it looks as though the problem has been solved.

Have now secured the wireless. However don't know if it's coincidence but we're now running incredibly slowly. Last night was only getting 1 and 2 mbps at times!!!!!. Today best we've got is 24. Any thoughts Guys?

Peggy

Edited by Peggy Burke

Variable connection speeds can be down to a number of things, low signal strength, interference (microwave, telephone etc)....

I have seen the following tips in the past:

1. Power down the router to see if this helps

2. Change channel to reduce/eliminate interference

3. Check nothing obvious 'in way' between router/PC

4. If using 108 mbs setting try lowering to 54 (this worked for me with a Netgear router)

Thanks very much for all your help everyone. The spyware problem seems to be resolved now. Isn't this forum great! :)

BTW, we downloaded Spyware Doctor. It cost about £12 for up to 3 computers. It's been the most effective product of its type we've used, plus for additional protection we've set it to automatically update and scan both our computers on a daily basis. We've still got the other products as it seems each one works differently, but so far they've found nothing that Spyware Doctor hasn't.

Peggy's wireless problem has resolved itself. Could it have anything to do with upgrading to IE7 a couple of days ago?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net