Can't get into those pike

Quest

Quest

I've been having a good time recently, and had 5 fish yesterday. I had to use spinnerbaits as the water was quite coloured and needed something to create some movement under the water. A good spinnerbait hardly ever fails for me if it's hard and i'll usually get a take or two. I use the Fox Hornet.

I've only blanked twice this year and that was when I lost fish (one was a very good fish on a super shad rap, the other was a poor hookup on a single hook spinnerbait)

Fish location is also very important, perhaps more so than the type of lure you use. 4 of the 5 fish I had yesterday were located in slacks out of the way of the main flow which was quite fast due to the recent rain. In fact as I arrived at the venue with a friend the EA were opening the sluice gates to run some water off.

I like to walk the bank looking for tell tale signs such as swirls, fry movement, overhanging branches, submerged snags, bays etc, and fish swims that look likely to produce rather than fishing every swim.

I apologise if this sounds patronising if you're an experienced lure angler and were just asking a rhetorical question!!!! ;)

Keep plugging (ahem) away and i'm sure you'll get into the fish before long.

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Quest

I've been having a good time recently, and had 5 fish yesterday. I had to use spinnerbaits as the water was quite coloured and needed something to create some movement under the water. A good spinnerbait hardly ever fails for me if it's hard and i'll usually get a take or two. I use the Fox Hornet.

I've only blanked twice this year and that was when I lost fish (one was a very good fish on a super shad rap, the other was a poor hookup on a single hook spinnerbait)

Fish location is also very important, perhaps more so than the type of lure you use. 4 of the 5 fish I had yesterday were located in slacks out of the way of the main flow which was quite fast due to the recent rain. In fact as I arrived at the venue with a friend the EA were opening the sluice gates to run some water off.

I like to walk the bank looking for tell tale signs such as swirls, fry movement, overhanging branches, submerged snags, bays etc, and fish swims that look likely to produce rather than fishing every swim.

I apologise if this sounds patronising if you're an experienced lure angler and were just asking a rhetorical question!!!! ;)

Cheers mate, Not tried the fox hornet yet. What colours does it come in?

Thanks

Keep plugging (ahem) away and i'm sure you'll get into the fish before long.

James P

Cheers mate, Not tried the fox hornet yet. What colours does it come in?

Thanks

Worry less about colours for now. Start off with some straight retrieve lures like spinners, spinnerbaits, soft plastics (shads, dawgs, grubs etc.) and get used to them before you start on lures that require more input from you the angler. You can work these types of lures at most depths and you'll get a feel for lures and some success fairly quickly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

See this thread, similar experiences!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...c=59784&hl=

I've had some good days on lures recently when the water has been running clear, but I'd forget it with river conditions as they are at the moment.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that lures simply aren't as good as the real deal. Shame, lure fishing is a great way to fish, we just need some more exciting fish in this country :).

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

How about plopping in a deadbait whilst lure fishing and increasing your chances significantly.

Went piking yesterday on canal and it was impossible to see a low further than 6 inches into the water. Tried with lures, spoons, noisy ones, colourful ones, big, small, not a jot on the lure.

5lb pike came to the deadbait though. Unfortunately not my deadbait!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Worry less about colours for now. Start off with some straight retrieve lures like spinners, spinnerbaits, soft plastics (shads, dawgs, grubs etc.) and get used to them before you start on lures that require more input from you the angler. You can work these types of lures at most depths and you'll get a feel for lures and some success fairly quickly.

A good point Andy.

When I fist started out it was Ondex spoons and Mepps spinners with the good old Big S being the only lure I owned. I caught plenty of fish on the spinners and learnt a lot by varying the speed of retrieve and depth of run, skills that are easy transferable to other lures later on when more experienced.

As far as colour goes, I do think it is something to consider. I usually use a natural perch or roach when fishing clear waters, and bright yellow colours when the water is coloured, but it pays to experiment as there is no hard and fast rule on any given day.

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"