Yet Another Human Cockup

Hi ken

Yeh i saw the report last night on the bbc news they opened up a dead falmers stomach and it was full of all sorts of plastic bits of shyte, they reckoned the north sea and its inhabitants was 95% full of the crap, one of the reasons i gave up eating what i and others caught years ago, i can get by without having to have fish and plastic in my diet :yucky: for those that cant!! enjoy your cod and chips tonight

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6218698.stm

I am begining to doubt we will ever restore our enviroment for the future. :(

Hello Ken

I agree, I have often wondered about the amount of plastic in the sea, also aluminium coke cans, they don't rust or rot but grind a way, I wonder if you reduced an aluminium can to a fine powder and put a tea spoon in your tea every morning, how long would you survive.

And they say I'm not sustainable!

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Ken

I agree, I have often wondered about the amount of plastic in the sea, also aluminium coke cans, they don't rust or rot but grind a way, I wonder if you reduced an aluminium can to a fine powder and put a tea spoon in your tea every morning, how long would you survive.

And they say I'm not sustainable!

Hi wurzel

How much mono netting have you lost over the years you have been fishing in the north sea do you think?

Hi wurzel

How much mono netting have you lost over the years you have been fishing in the north sea do you think?

A tiny faction of what you probably think I have Stavey.

Probably amounts to the same amount of mono line you have lost over the years.

A tiny faction of what you probably think I have Stavey.

Probably amounts to the same amount of mono line you have lost over the years.

No i dont think so wurzel, i would bet you that the amount of mono used for one fleet of nets like you use would be a lot more than what an angler would use in a lifetime imo, so not just with the damage caused by nets being lost and carrying on ghost fishing, they also damage the marine environment by adding (in a big way) to the continued plastic pollution of it, it is time fishermen became more responsible and maybe they could use nets made of something less damaging other than mono? if not a tax levy on the mono nets and the amount they used would sort a lot of the problems out, of course if they were to use other methods like cages or perhaps rod and line they would be exempt :thumbs: what do you think wurzel????????????????

No i dont think so wurzel, i would bet you that the amount of mono used for one fleet of nets like you use would be a lot more than what an angler would use in a lifetime imo, so not just with the damage caused by nets being lost and carrying on ghost fishing, they also damage the marine environment by adding (in a big way) to the continued plastic pollution of it, it is time fishermen became more responsible and maybe they could use nets made of something less damaging other than mono? if not a tax levy on the mono nets and the amount they used would sort a lot of the problems out, of course if they were to use other methods like cages or perhaps rod and line they would be exempt :thumbs: what do you think wurzel????????????????

You did not ask how much mono I used. you asked how much I lost, which is next to nothing, gost fishing is another mythe anglers percieve.

gost fishing is another mythe anglers percieve.

Depends where you are talking about.

In calm waters ghost fishing is a real problem, and there is quite a bit of study and literature available.

What I've been told though, and my own experience mostly backs that up, is that the seas around the UK tend to roll abandoned and lost netting into tight balls, so that it no longer ghost fishes.

And I've often come across netting caught up on structures at low tide, such as the one below at Folkestone that bears this out.

317095528_0376b08cf8.jpg

However, on a boat trip in the summer, we came across this net that was full of crustacean shells, and the skeletons of sea birds, that had obviously been doing it's killing work for quite a while after it was lost :(

So, perhaps the 'balling' only happens to nets lost close to shore?

Does the rigging give you any clue as to which fishery it had come from Wurzel?

317095527_7e9f2f4f57.jpg

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

You did not ask how much mono I used. you asked how much I lost, which is next to nothing, gost fishing is another mythe anglers percieve.

Ok what is next to nothing 1-2-4-10-20 fleets of net? it makes no difference now anyway wurzel as there is enough already there to last several hundreds of years.