112 HOAX!!!! For those who missed it.

GowerRay

112 is a handy number to have as it will access the Emergency services not only in the UK but also most of Europe but like any other number you do need a connection. Regarding the message circulating (on this board and many others) about its magical properties, here are the facts from London Transport:

Press release: 27 July 2005

Misleading e-mail

A misleading spam e-mail has been widely circulated which claims that by dialling 112 you can get through to 999 even without having an available signal on your mobile phone - this is completely untrue.

Dialling 112 only works if you have a signal on your mobile phone

A London Underground spokesperson said: "This e-mail is incorrect.

"The 112 number does link people through to 999, but it only works if you have a signal on your mobile phone.

"If you have no signal bars on your phone, it will not work.

"It will not divert to a satellite signal.

"Even with a satellite mobile phone (which very few people have), you would need to have a clear line-of-sight to the satellite.

"You would have to be outside, not in a building or a Tube tunnel.

"The 112 number is the European equivalent of 999."

Ends

As reported on many news sites, too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4724101.stm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As a telephone exchange engineer I can add the following:-

The above post is correct, 112 (or 999) will not work with no signal. It will, however, work if you have no credit, or no SIM card in the phone, or you are roaming (not entirely sure about the roaming one). It may also be useful to know that when you have a very poor signal you may be able to text someone even if you cannot make a call. Do not try texting 999 or 112 in an emergency as these numbers will not work!!!!!

Your phone is also intelligent - It measures the signal strength from the base station and modifies it's output power to suit. The further away from the base station you are, the more power your phone will use, and the shorter the battery life will be. I have a 12v cigarette lighter socket and car charger fitted to my boat to prevent me flattening my batteries when I'm offshore.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com