Lost flyfisherman needs help

gibbos1

:thumbs: Hi all,

just join, looking good.

Just getting back into flyfishing, after a couple of years out due to family ties.

I live in Birmingham/ Solihull area(not to far from airport and NEC) and would like to know what the local trout waters are like in my area please?

Need to know where to go to get back into it? I have lost my old fishing address book. Have been looking on line? :blink:

Need to get into it again, because I(we, Family) are going to Canmore,Canada in July next year for a holiday. So really need to try the fly fishing over there.

I am trying to get my young son into as well(he's 7). So would like more advice about that to please?

Hope you people can help a lost fly fisherman, get back to the sport he loves.

Many thanks,

gibbos1 :rolleyes:

Hi there,

i dont really know your area I am afraid. Reference your son. I started my lad off when he was 10 years old using an 8ft WF98 and a 5 weight line, a year or two later cant remember exactly its a while back now :schmoll: he went on one of the Trout and Salmon Association teaching days at a local fishery. I tend to have a different view to most in that I taught my son and wife on a river rather than a stillwater and like wise her best friends husband. They did not have to cast far and as the river was fast the trout did not care if the river had "rolled" the cast out for them. I always think the odd fish for the learner works wonders. Nothing more depressing than an ocean like expanse of water before you when you start fly casting.

Cheers

Regards

Topnotchblanker

http://fishingeverywhere.spaces.live.com/

Hi fella,

thanks for your reply.

Some really good points made, good idea about maybe getting my lad out onto a river first. I have been on line this afternoon and have found a few places that I think I could take him(stillwaters). There's Fisherwick, and Kingfisher trout lake, Bromyard, looks good? Don't know if you have tried any of these?

Do you think I should start him off with a small rod, with w/f line on, and see how he goes?

Thanks again,

gibbos1 :thumbs:

Hi,

at what age and with what gear depends upon the child i think. The son of the farmer who ran a fishery I used to visit was built like a brick sh@>house and could cast a fair line weight whilst still young. My very small 8 yo daughetr (who therefore takes after her dad) I doubt could load my wifes 7ft 3 weight brook rod.

So I would give it a go.

Cheers

Hi fella,

thanks for your reply.

Some really good points made, good idea about maybe getting my lad out onto a river first. I have been on line this afternoon and have found a few places that I think I could take him(stillwaters). There's Fisherwick, and Kingfisher trout lake, Bromyard, looks good? Don't know if you have tried any of these?

Do you think I should start him off with a small rod, with w/f line on, and see how he goes?

Thanks again,

gibbos1 :thumbs:

Regards

Topnotchblanker

If you don't mind traveling a bit,there is cound in Shropshire.Can put you onto a nice place near Bridgnorth-not advertised and he does catch and release.Whatever you do,don't go to Shatterford lakes-its the pits.

Further west is a cracking fishery-Delbury Hall.Might be too far for you though,its bettween Bridgnorth and Ludlow-worth the hike though,catch and release as well.Ellerdine at Telford is another.

Hi,

thanks for your replys lads, great stuff.

I will try anywhere if the fishing is good. I have read about Delbury Hall, sounds good? Have you fished their at all?

About the size of my lad, He's 7 and is a bit on the smaller size. I think for the first couple of trips out, I will cast out and then let him bring it in? Then see how he does on my old knackered rod and if he does okish, I'll set him up with a better rod. Do you think 7'/8' rod would be better than longer rod?

thanks for your help,

regards,

Carl

Carl - my dad started me on the fly rod at a pretty young age. Fixed spool wasn't available and multipliers were way too tough. It is well over 50 years ago and I don't remember the rod details but most likely the shorter rod will be easier for small hands to deal with.

I know it isn't a standard UK rig but something that works well for a youngster who only wants to catch something is a popping bug with a breamer (our 'bream' are bluegills) suspended 6" to a foot below it. The popping bug basically floats the breamer but about 1 fish in 10 will take the surface bug. It works nicely with almost any sort of presentation and a slow retrieve. Perfect for kids and not bad for adults. The colours and exact designs aren't critical. I like the 'bug' to have a slightly cupped face so it really does 'pop' when moved.

Popping Bug Tying details

2-popping-bug.jpg

And the breamer (bream fly)

1-breamer.jpg

If you can't find them in the UK and don't tie your own, both BassPro and Cabelas offer them for sale.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They have caught lots of fish for me over the years. I keep different sizes to match the fish I'm after.

Lots of fun when you get a double too with a fish on each fly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi,

thanks for your replys lads, great stuff.

I will try anywhere if the fishing is good. I have read about Delbury Hall, sounds good? Have you fished their at all?

About the size of my lad, He's 7 and is a bit on the smaller size. I think for the first couple of trips out, I will cast out and then let him bring it in? Then see how he does on my old knackered rod and if he does okish, I'll set him up with a better rod. Do you think 7'/8' rod would be better than longer rod?

thanks for your help,

regards,

Carl

Have fished Delbury a few times when up that way.it's not expensive,very pleasant place,small lodge and they do catch and release after 2 fish.Not had any monsters,but fish are in good condition and give a good account of themselves.

The other fishery at /near Bridgnorth is also not expensive.The owner is a decent guy.Also catch and release after a couple of fish,and there are some decent fish to be caught.Nothing over 3lb to be kept though.

usually fishes very very well.Pm me if you want the details please.