Digging up lug???

Moody

Im a newbee to sea fishing, i live on the wirral so theres plenty of water around were i live.

Theres a realy big lug worm bed not far away from a place called Hoyel bank just of Hoylake, iv been down there digging for lug a couple of times with not much luck bout 5 worms to bout 20-30 digs an its bloody hard work.

I need some good tips on how best to dig them up and at what times between tides :confused:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

i know a couple of lads who get worms from the mersey. if as i suspect they are blacks then i suggest trying a pump.

if they are blow lug. locate the blow hole. dig down 2 spits deep and then dig back to the cast.

digging as the tide starts to flood can be a good idea to as the worms come closer to the surface.

having a good fork can be a great help too. a wide tined potato fork is the way to go. they are expensive but will pay for themselves in no time

Moos, if I lived where you do I would contact Chris at wirrel sea fishing, you will have to do a search for his address as he only posts on here when he wants our attention.

I dug lug when I was a kid for a guy in Dover, it is bloody hard work with a fork but if you look for a mound of sand and and indentation in the sand you have found you lug worms house, now come back a couple of inches from a line between these to places and drive your fork STRAIT down, force the sand up (steel handled fork is best) and spread the sand out with a sweeping movement to expose the worms. You can also dig a lump of sand out and dump it in one lump and sort through it by hand, if you find nothing dig down again as they burrow quickly. If you find a lot of mounds then dig a trench in a strait line and back fill as you go. The sand that you have dug up is very soft and can be dangerous to paddlers so please take care.

Keep the damaged ones seperate from the good ones, they are all good for bait but the damaged ones will infect the good ones and kill them.

Watch the Oyster catchers and Turns they will show you where to dig when the tide drops.

Watch out for the incoming tide, it can cut you off and you could fall into a hole that you have just dug and not get out again.

You now have enough bait for a session, why not fish the area that you have just dug when the tide comes up again :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on please.

Alan :)

ps. Not teaching Granny to suck eggs here but there are people that just watch and not post so it is better to explain things in depth, just in case :)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

If there is a good concentration of worms in one area the best way I have found to get them is by trench digging.

Start at the head of the mass and go across as far as you think, I go about four forks wide, then just work backwards throwing the sand in front of you. Works for me and it fills in the trench as you are going, most important not to leave great holes all over the place. Good luck.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

fisherman:

If there is a good concentration of worms in one area the best way I have found to get them is by trench digging.

Thats more or less what I was trying to say but you did a better job of it. Bear in mind that it was 40 years ago that I dug Lugworm so like the fork I am a bit rusty :D

It might also be an idea to check out the Local Council by laws regarding digging for bait :( some councils get a bit stroppy about it.

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Guest jay_con

was worried someone might take my blacks comment the wrong way

moody by blacks i meant black worms. they bury much deeper than normal lug im sure they go 4 - 5 foot down. which would expalin why u got so fwe. are they black in colour and very tough skinned?