problem shutting down

Andrew Burgess

My operating system is Windows Xp 2 and everything have been ok for the past day or two but this afternoon when shutting down the computer I have a message coming up on the screen saying this.

CardReader/LookUp Programme is not shut down

What does this mean to me - I don't know so hence the reason asking fellows members.

Can anyone help me by this as I am frighting of shutting down just in case It won't start up again as It have done this before!

I will appreciate this if anyone can help

thanks in advance

Andy

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

First choice when XP starts doing strange stuff

- click on start, on run, key in cmd, click on OK. This will open a DOS-like window.

- at the prompt, key in chkdsk /f (note the space between chkdsk and /f) and press ENTER.

- when you are told the process cannot be done just now, answer Yes to doing it at next reboot then reboot.

There will be some file checking and repair done before windows loads, a reboot when it is done, and back to normal ops.

If you still have issues after that, post back. There are other repair options but none as easy as this one.

If you do not now have a good way to clean up your PC (temp, temp internet, cookies, etc.), download a copy of CCleaner. Quick, easy, and never does harm. It also has a feature to clean & repair registry glitches. I run the cleaner portion at least once a week and the registry cleanup at least once a month. This seems to keep things running faster and with fewer glitches.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Do you have an 'all in one' printer with card reader? - or a separate USB card reader for a digi camera or similar?

Look at the tasks in the bottom right of your desktop or use the task manager to look at them.

Try closing or quiting the 'card reader' task before shutting down windows.

If manualy closing the program allows XP to shut down then look for new drivers from the reader maker.

I have a few programs that do 'comms' stuff that must be closed 'by hand' as when shutting down XP cannot get them to close, (because they are allways polling out waiting for info from other devices & some twerp did not write the code very well).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Do you have an 'all in one' printer with card reader? - or a separate USB card reader for a digi camera or similar?

Look at the tasks in the bottom right of your desktop or use the task manager to look at them.

Try closing or quiting the 'card reader' task before shutting down windows.

If manualy closing the program allows XP to shut down then look for new drivers from the reader maker.

I have a few programs that do 'comms' stuff that must be closed 'by hand' as when shutting down XP cannot get them to close, (because they are allways polling out waiting for info from other devices & some twerp did not write the code very well).

Yes I do have an all in one printer (not even on these days) but where do I find the card reader in the task box? ????

Newt - thanks for the information and I did what you suggest and it work,

However there another problem crop up this morning with the internet connection. :rolleyes:

Unfortulately it been working alright until I got back from my brothers place. I am on a dail up system but I have started get problems with the conection to my server

The messaage says: Network Connection, Cannot connect the phonebook entry. Error 756: This connection is already dialed.

But when it click on the ok button, the message came up unable to dial

I can sort it out everytime but driving me up the wall - any ideas on this anyone?

I'm pretty sure this is what you have happening and the suggested 'fix' should take care of you when you reboot after making the change.

From http://helpdesk.maltanet.net/page.jsp?id=2...=1&siteid=1

Error 756 – This connection is already being dialed

This error indicates that more than one simultaneous request to make a dial-up networking connection has been made. This can occur if you have one or more programs set up to automatically make a connection to the Internet. Check the settings for your e-mail, browser and other applications that access the Internet, disabling automatic connection as appropriate. Most common cause of this is having your internet explorer trying to connect automatically when you open it, and in the same time clicking on the shortcut to your connection. To disable internet explorer dialing automatically, follow the instructions below: -

Open Internet Explorer

Click on the tools menu

Click internet options

Go on the ‘Connections’ tab

Choose never dial a connection

Click on OK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No probs Andrew.

Is everything working as it should now?