Tachograph rules

Excalibur

Hi Excalibur

Now I'm no expert on these things - BUT.

I used to work for a vehicle hire company, and if anyone came in for anything of 7.5 tonne or over we always asked if it was for personal use or company or business use. If it was for personal use they didn't need an operators licence, and no tacho. However for company or business use an operators licence was always needed and tacho used.

If your van and trailer is for business or company use then you should have a operators licence and use a tacho. If its for personal use then no tacho is needed.

Yes, I'm well aware there's a flaw in the system, but thats the government for you. This means to me that a guy who's un-experienced in driving lorry's can drive from Cornwall to Scotland non-stop apart from filling up using it for personal use. While an experienced driver will have to stop for tacho breaks within the rules of the law. Stupid, yep it is.

Must admit tho, its always been in the back on my mind. I've always wanted to hire a big motorhome and tour Europe visiting some of the Grand Prix's.

Hope some of the previous members can help with their links. I'd be interested too.

Yogi. :thumbs:

Agree totally with all that, but I stated that my Dinky Toy was 3500Kg, not 7500! Thanks anyway.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
While on the transport topic, sorry to sort of hijack the thread but.............

Do VOSA require a transport operator to hold copies of drivers licences, both paper and picture?

Thanks.

No one know my answer then??? :unsure:

Agree totally with all that, but I stated that my Dinky Toy was 3500Kg, not 7500! Thanks anyway.

Yep, understood that but we didn't do 3500kg.

Tacho rules are tacho rules mate whether its 3500kg, 7500kg or 400.000kg.

So whether you did state your driving a Dinky Toy it makes NO difference. Sorry I couldn't be of any more use.

Yogi. :headhurt:

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

No one know my answer then??? :unsure:

Ferret, Nope, cant really be of any help, but IMHO dont think its law to have to hold a copy.

Going by past experience....I've worked for lots of Operator Licence holding companies, almost all have taken a copy of my licence, but I think its just for their own records,...others Ive worked for, have looked at the licence at interview, and given it straight back...... :unsure: sorry I can be of more help..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Some insurance companies insist that the drivers licence is seen every 6? months.

Until I went to work for the company that I now work for, I was in the transport industry. One company seta driver on and inspected his licence as per normal. However he was due to appear in court for a driving offence that he did not disclose to the company. After appearing in court (he didn't by the way inform the company of any of this) he lost his drivers licence but carried on driving. He had a bump in the lorry and when the insureance co wanted to see all of the documentation, you guessed it he was banned from driving and because his employer didn't inspect his licence periodically they where prosecuted for allowing him to drive whilst dissqualified and they were also prosecuted for allowing a vehicle to be driven without insurance (obviosly the insurer classed him as uninsured whilst driving one of the vehicles).

But as to if it's law or not, I wouldn't like to argue that one either way, sensible to do it I would think as it would have been in the afore mentioned example. They would have picked it up and got rid of him as a driver at least, and avoided the costs etc of a court gase against them.

Phill.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Yep, understood that but we didn't do 3500kg.

Tacho rules are tacho rules mate whether its 3500kg, 7500kg or 400.000kg.

So whether you did state your driving a Dinky Toy it makes NO difference. Sorry I couldn't be of any more use.

Yogi. :headhurt:

From what I can see it's a minefield! None of the sites have the info I need, or can find.I may have to take an extra test to put a big trailer behind it I think! :wallbash:

Thanks one and all.

Guest sandpipper

Hi first off tacho laws are changing every year, im having trouble keeping up with with the laws,

If your van is fitted with a tacho you must use it and must have an operators licence, you can get one from your magistrates court, then you come under the new working times directive and have to record driving times, times of availability, working times . This must be recorded on your tacho and a separated piece of paper.

Now the fun bit, after 4.5 hours of driving you must take a 45min break the break can be broken up (i.e.) 3x15 mins. 30+15 mins. If you have not been driving for 4.5 hours you must take a 30 min break all breaks must be shown on you tacho. You may only work for 15 hours a day of which you can only drive for 9 hours, but twice a week you can drive for 10 hours. Your driving hours must not be over 90 hours per fortnight.

This is only the basic rules.

As for your van towing a trailer its down to what your van is allowed to tow, and when you passed your test, nothing to do with tacho.

Hope this helps a little bit.

P.s. ive been an HGV driver for 0ver 10 years. Tony

Ferret. yes they do and now its changed from every year to every four months this come into force this year

im having trouble keeping up with with the laws,

Hi Tony. Happy New Year mate....

..YOU are having trouble ???? I only found out last month, that it became law, in Jan LAST year, for HGV drivers to wear seatbelts....One of the guys got pulled and done coming out the quarry without his on.........

Sadly, I dont think that this is generally known......... :schmoll: :schmoll: ....I've never heard of anyone being done since.... :angry:

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest sandpipper

Hi norrie and a happy new year to you too

i know you dont have to wear one if your on multi drop.

Edited by sandpipper