Wave bouy Info

glennk

Does anyone understand the cefas wave bouy info ??

How do I know which way the swell is coming from ? I'm guessing that the peak wave direction info is the data I want ???

10-Jan-07 15:30 2.1 - 5.0 298.1 20.0 8.8

10-Jan-07 15:00 2.1 - 5.0 292.5 16.0 8.8

10-Jan-07 14:30 2.1 12.9 5.0 16.9 24.6 8.9

I've marked them in red - what do they mean ?

Cefas Wave Buoy

They might be the direction, if they were angles and degrees. 0 is North, 90 East, 180 South and 270 west. 315 will be NW, the angles given would give the swell/wind at about WNW for the first two and NNE for the last one, does that stack up with how it was?

Edited by Holmesy

They might be the direction, if they were angles and degrees. 0 is North, 90 East, 180 South and 270 west. 315 will be NW, the angles given would give the swell/wind at about WNW for the first two and NNE for the last one, does that stack up with how it was?

Hi aitch that's bang on mate - lovely sea running but still managed to blank. Is there a site with the compass on so I can get it right next time ?

There static mate ie 360/0 is always North and 180 South going clockwise. Down here I'm looking for north quarter winds probably same as you, so I'd be looking for winds from 315 to 360/0 to 45 NW through to NE. A good site for wind direction is the GB wind map at www.xcweather.co.uk