Reel types

Stoff

theres really two things here drag and bait runner

baitrunners are used when your ledgering mainly. The bait runner feature when engaged allows the spool to spin relatively freely allowing the fish to run and not take your rod with it.

As for front and rear drags the difference is obvious but bare in mind you should set the drag at the beginning of each session (slacken drags completely off when real isnt in use) and you shouldnt need to touch it again if its set right. Some people like rear drags because they like to adjust the drag up and down as they play a fish. being a bit more awkward with a front drag.

from my experience though front drags tend to be a little smoother.

Setting the drag properly to start with is what matters. my method (other might do it different)

is set up the rod and reel completely as normal including hook. hook it to my luggage holdall zip

then lift the rod to apply the pressure setting the drag to just click when i feel the pressure is about the maximum the line or rod will take (whichever is weaker) i

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I have written before and still have the opinion that for Heavy fishing a Rear Drag reel will not hold up as well as a Front Drag reel. When fishing for Carp, you are well within range of a Front or Rear Drag reel. The information within the article is not enough in my opinion and should include the following: A front drag reel does not have the same amount of internal problems as a rear drag reel will have during HEAVY usage. The requirement of a rear drag reel to turn the primary spindle rod can produce a bent or worped shaft. This will require major repairs or replacement of the reel. This is an opinion yes, but a learned one! The Baitrunner/Freespool/Freeline facility is a Great tool. It is as stated to be used to allow a fish to take line without leaving the bailarm open or loosening the primary drag. It can and will save you from taking a dunking to retreive your setup. They have varrying degrees of quality and therefore must be tested to determine what the setting is for you at a given occaision.

HOPPY4

Edited by HOPPY4

HOPPY