What's at Lowestoft ?

seadee

Wow - a new kid on the block :rolleyes: Just joined up 'cos the forum looks great.

Moved my boat to Lowestoft from Shotley last year. Didn't get out much but when I did it was hopeless. Before I give up and get back to bass fishing heaven in the Stour, can anyone tell me where to fish and what to expect at Lowestoft ? I'm going to give it another year.

I'd also be interested in joining a club if anyone knows any details. I live near Diss, Norfolk.

I'd heard that the wrecks about 7 miles out were full of bass this year ... anyone confirm that ? Presumably they were fished on the drift ?

Looking forward to getting into the forum !! :clap2:

I'm just a beer drinker with a fishing problem ....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Seadee, Welcome to AN, its good here !!!!! :rolleyes: Cant help you at all, but someone will be along soon to give you some good advice..... :D :D

BTW, What make is your boat, ?? looks really good !!!! :sun:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guess you're looking at boat fishing. Should be plenty of codling about at the moment, shouldn't have to be very far off at all; a few hundred yards. Some nice fish showing amongst them as well. You could be out there now cleaning up. Very few boats do the wrecks and I really don't know why. Big factor if you want to try I would think is water clarity. Off that part of the coast you might have to go a fair way off. Plenty of banks straight off the port to try for bass.

Hi Norrie - wow a reply straight away .... this could get addictive !!

Thanks for the boat compliments :thumbs: she is my pride and joy. She is a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 with a 200hp Nanni diesel. Good for 25 knots flat out and 20 ish cruising at only 3,000rpm. I used to run a Merry Fisher 625 with outboard but moved up tot the big league last year. Still got lots to learn about shaft drives !! The outboard used to turn on a sixpence and push the boat at 30 knots !! Bit more sedate now !

Met some blokes from the marina today who had ventured out (it's blowing here today !) but they only got whiting and a nice sole so the quest for the cod goes on. Had heard of some nice ones off Corton Roads so I reckon Norfolk Boy is spot on - they are there but I ain't gonna catch them sitting in the marina !

Thanks for the early replies - keep in touch.

By the way, how do I get my boat picture to appear in the side panel like your photos ?

Thanks Norfolk Boy - wow a reply only after one day ! This is good. :yucky::clap2:

You are right, I'm a boat man. Check out my pride and joy in my personal info. How did you get your picture to appear in the side panel with your name ?

I heard the cod were out there and you are absolutely correct - tied up in the marina I've got no chance !!

Are you a beach man ? If so I'll give you a wave as I'm tucking in to the bacon sarnies !!

Tight lines

CD

I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you get a picture up. Nice boat, you should have no problems getting out to some of the banks and inshore wrecks with her. Cod should be here till perhaps May and bass showing properly from April. I think as summer comes you will be better off further out but at the moment you could get away with being 400 yards or so off the beach. If it blows up and then calms down you've got to get out there as the water will colour up nicely.

I fish mainly beaches now but we have had a dinghy and a Romany 21 (in the river at Gorleston) but as family moved off she had to go. She was slow but stable. One day, once more.....

BTW, I think there might still a dinghy club at Corton, though I believe they would now launch from Tramps Alley at Lowestoft North. IF they still exist, they might be worth a call for a bit of knowledge.

I'm looking to be out a fair bit in the summer - if you see a bright yellow kayak with two rods out the back come by with one of those sarnies please!!

In the marina you can do alright for mullet. UK record for one type came from there. Ask in Sam Hooks to find out what's happening locally.

Norfolk Boy: Yea, an 'ee need a fool ta roid 'im.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Seadee, perhaps you should have stayed at Shotley? A few nice ones were caught to day, cod to 7lb, couple of double figure roka, trouble is you have to search them out, know where to go to avoid the codling and whiting, sprats are north of Orford as well! Thats how the fishing off the East cost is, no one is telling, local knowledge is becoming very precious.

:ph34r:

Hello...I will try or get you some numbers for Wrecks off Lowestoft which I have and then the bass...you willl need to travel a bit south to the bank from Lowestsoft....8mls then abt 24mls out..wrecks they are plenty as from the chart..but you need ones which are above the sea bed