What's at Lowestoft ?

seadee

Hi Cliff - I'm beginning to think you are right ! Don't 'spose you remember me - I ran a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 625 when I was at Shotley. I was moored round the corner next to Dave Woodland. Marina really p***ed me off when I upgraded to the 805 so I left for pastures new - probably a case of tail between the legs now !!

I really miss the Stour bassing - how was it this year ? My freezer is now empty of bass fillets so this year is serious for the belly !

Regards to all at Shotley :rolleyes:

I'm just a beer drinker with a fishing problem ....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Holmesy - thanks.

Wow that is seriously generous of you Walcott - thanks in anticipation :thumbs:

Do you run out of Lowestoft too ?

I'll check my charts for the area you refer to - 8Nm south and 24 Nm out ? Sounds like it's near the top of the Gabbard banks ?

Presumably you just feather up some sandeels or mackerel when you get out there ?

Picking up on an earlier mail - how far out do you go from Lowestoft before the water clears up for lures on the wrecks ?

I am seriously impressed with how friendly you all are on this website. I've spent a year getting nowhere and in the space of 2 days you've all restored my faith in rod and line - top drawer :clap2:

Please keep mailing :thumbs:

I'll check my charts for the area you refer to - 8Nm south and 24 Nm out ? Sounds like it's near the top of the Gabbard banks ?

Presumably you just feather up some sandeels or mackerel when you get out there ?

Picking up on an earlier mail - how far out do you go from Lowestoft before the water clears up for lures on the wrecks ?

I am seriously impressed with how friendly you all are on this website. I've spent a year getting nowhere and in the space of 2 days you've all restored my faith in rod and line - top drawer :clap2:

seadee, you want to enable personal messaging

What the marina do to 'P' you off mate?? :unsure: They 'P' me off all the time, Andy is a bit of a pain, but he retires in a year or two :clap2:

Its still the best site in the Suffolk/Norfolk for 24/7 summer/winter fishing. Shelter from any direction, may not be to many fish about on occasions, but afloat and shelter in a storm :fishing1: . And when the weather does allow, the Gabbard, Galloper, Sunk, the Knock, not to mention a few marks North of the deep water channel (hot tip for 2007?) A few decent fish are coming from around the Towers as well. All big areas, and they need searching out, plans for 2007/2008?

The big draw is the summer bassing in the Stour and Orwell, sheltered, drifting, OK they ain't monsters these days but fun on light gear, and when something a little bigger comes along 'wow!!'.

The one problem with Shotley marina, no one (angling) talks? There are enough angling boats to have a friendly atmosphere, but they just dont share!!! :wallbash:

:ph34r: Cliff

Crickey - it gets even more complicated than this ?? :headhurt:

I looked on my settings but it says that my personal messaging is enabled - what do I need to do and what does it do for me ? <_<

seadee - a few features, such as pm, are not functional until you reach 15 posts. This is to help stop spammers and idiots, but, unfortunately, also affects the good guys :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cliff, you're doing a good selling job and you're supposed to be encouraging me to explore the vast waters off Lowestoft !! :headhurt:

I do miss the Stour - you are absolutely right - I used to love drowning a lb of rag up there and catching non stop - even if they were often basslets ! However the photo I've got of a 7lb'er and the grin on my face says it all. :thumbs: Took me about 20 minutes to land on a baitcaster with 12lb line - mad but I love it. That was up off Wrabness just upstream of the posts. Fantastic !

I know Alan off Harvest Moon used to swear by the bank opposite Levington - how is he these days ?

I think you're right about Shotley - too full of yellow wellies ! :yucky: I got my own little clique round the corner though. Dave Woodland (Swash) and I often used to fish together and I used to tap up the boys on Finne for info. Those bouys were hard core though - they needed 50 Nm under the hull in a day to have a good time. Never used to get them more fish though !! <_<

Anyway, I'm going to plug away at Lowestoft for 1 more year and then review the whole situation - it depends on how full the freezer is by then !!

The marina basically tried to rip me out of my whoe years fees - I saw the new boat at the boat show in January, decided to go for it and cancelled my existing pitch on about the second week in January. I even booked the marina to do my lift (as the boat was off to Morgan's for p-ex). They'd cashed my cheque for the whole year on 28th Dec and 2 weeks later told me that the balance was non-refundable. The T&Cs said that but I couldn't believe their stubborness. In the end I wrote to Andy and appealed to his common sense :wallbash: and all credit they agreed to charge me the daily visitor rate and refund the balance. Still cost me a shed load for a couple of weeks of mooring. Left me with a bad taste - after all I had been at the marina for 4 years. I was also p***ed off about the weed that grew in the top of the marina - they never seemed to get on top of it (or want to get on top of it). The icing on the cake was when I put my foot through one of the rotten plankings despite complaining about the lack of maintenance before. They wanted the shirt off my back to berth the new one (even though she's only 8.5m long). I am made to feel really welcome at Lowestoft Haven - the place is brilliant but the fishing jury is still out !!

Keep in touch

CD

Fantastic - I'll rack up another post by replying to you. :thumbs:

Top site Elton - I'm hooked already !

CD

Mmm, I here what you say mate, sounds about parr, they realy dont like refunding money. But in their defence, if you had bought the new boat to shotley youd have been no worse off??? Two weeks at visitors rate is how they do it . . . T&C!!!??? Poor maitenance, tell you what, there is another well known marina in the vacinity who's no better, in there own way from what I can gather? In fact I have my doubts about the marina industry as a whole, 'captive audiance' and all that?

8.5 meter, yeh? rates are by the half meter. I have just changed to a 28 footer, I talked nicely to them. Paid for 8.5m (extra £130) but got the choice of berths for 2007, I am in a realy prime location, loads of room to manouver, non of this squeezing into a pocky 8m jobie! I pay my way, but have learned over 10 years, a kind word, a smile and its suprising what can be achived. Had some good advise for free from the workshop on Saturday, saved myself £500-£600, it took a 'please and a smile'. Tell them how wonderfull they are, agree with Andy and 'bingo', thats how Shotley works??? :sneaky2:

Alan's OK, he's catching loades of codling he tells me, he's been in Shotley almost as long as I have, he nows the score too. Never see Magie these days.

Exploring Lowestoft? Not sure you have any where to go when the wind blows in anything other than with 'West in it'? Thats going to be very limiting, new boat and cant get to sea? Yachts love it, but we have a poblem, no sail to steady the ship?

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2