shakespeare reel problem?

wezza

Hi,

I have just recently taken up sea fishing and i have bought a rod and reel from my local angling shop.the reel is a shakespeare mg 1000(2008 070)and has been fine for when ive been catching little whiting and flatties.however yesterday i went fishing off deal pier and caught my first codling which weighed 2lb 4oz the problem is the reel had trouble relling the fish in, the arm was just crunching and clicking.Is this right or do i need a better more expensive reel i do not want to use a multiplier yet.any suggestions????

many thanks

Wezza

Congratulations on the nice codling, they have been few and far between, so far this year.

The combo you have is OK for the beach, where the rod is more help in getting the fish ashore.

But,the reel is seriously light for pier work. Which usually means some serious winching (if only weed),if you haven,t got a drop net.

Try taking it back to the shop as "faulty", they may change it, or let you pay something toward an upgrade.

Might be best not to mention the pier winching, though. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hi Wezza, welcome to A.N. There are pleny of fixed spools suitable for your needs, your local tackle shop should be able to point you in the right direction, but, as an example my mate bought an large Okuma fixed spool for £20. at our local shop. It does the job fine including off the rocks at Arbroath fishing into very rough ground and kelp. Tho' I dont really know what the life of the reel will be as he hasn't had it very long, about three months or so. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Wezza, as Norrie suggests, a big Okuma would do the job and keep the price down.

If you and your mates are going to do a fair bit of pier fishing, it would be a good idea to invest in (or make) a drop net between you.

There aren,t any rods or reels, that will let you winch a 20lb cod up the side of a pier.

THINK BIG. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "