SFSA Scottish Election 1

seaside

Hi Stavey

I blame all the anglers MILLIONS of them all catching LOADS and LOADS of fish all added together must come to thousands of tons of UNRECORDED fish

steve

That's right Steve, we catch tons and tons of fish. The trouble is, most of them are small. We want to catch tons and tons of big fish.

You are very naughty!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi challenge

Just trying to get my head around things as regards what is the actual cost to fish stocks and these fishermen to earn a living thats all, even taking your figures in to account it does look to me that a lot of fish have to be caught to balance books and to make enough money to warrant the practice, trouble is can the fish stocks and the marine life take it? i think there is enough evidence to think not!! as can be seen over the years in the drastic decline to an industry that as almost snuffed itself out.

Stavey - stock decline is the real issue - not too long ago there were around 30 species regularly taken around Scotland by either recreational or commercial fishermen, now both groups are realistically limited to about 4 or 5 species.

Skates, rays, spurdogs, plaice, and others have all pretty much disappeared from the coastlines of Scotland.

How that stock decline has come around is the source of constant debate with 'global warming' being the latest in a long line of pee poor reasons, but the reality is poor resource management.

It really doesn't matter what the cause is, if you are taking out more than what is being put back, you have a declining resource and even now when the lack of resources is fully appreciated (even if claimed not to be fully understood) they continue to be poorly managed - over 500,000,000 fish being discarded annually in the North Sea and west coast of Scotland - a big majority of which are haddock and whiting.

The Scottish Executive & SEERAD are responsible for their share, they need to introduce and implement real fishery conservation measures before all that is left are the deepwater and inshore prawn stocks.

Hi Stavey

I blame all the anglers MILLIONS of them all catching LOADS and LOADS of fish all added together must come to thousands of tons of UNRECORDED fish

steve

hello steve

If you are refering to dole fiddlers ripping up shoal bass on feathers and pirks and masquerading as some sort of rsa? then i agree with you.

The oppertunity to catch thousands of decent sized fish would indeed be most welcome and i would take the greatest of care to return all of them alive so you could reap the benefit of catching the same fish to sell and pay your bills and support your family, now what are you going to do for me and like minded rsa's in return? believe it or not i would like to see your career in commercial fishing continue and in fact improve with better catches for you and your families benefit, SHOCK HORROR!!! did i realy say that? anyway the attitude of rsa's have and are changing more and more and if the commercials could do the same we all might just both have a future :) if not then we will both be f**ked cheers.............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly