Feeding tactics

borntofish

Hi,

As you all know I am on the other side of the world, so let me sketch the scene a bit.

The waters are big and mostly open water so looking for fish patrols can be a problem. for the most also the waters are heavily over stocked with 4kg to 8 kg size fish, so the big boys do not get much of a look in.

I want to fish a new water this year with some new tactics.

If I feed a lot in an area the the small fish move and clean the swim out and also call the cats in to hoover up what is left.

My thinking is to use a boilie PVA bag, pull it nice and tight, so that when it does melt, the boilies will spill out over a nice area with the hook bait somewhere hopefully in the middle. I also want to soak the bag in hemp seed oil.

remember most fish smaells will call the cats, so pellets are a no no. Fish meal in the boilie is also a no no.

What does the forum think???....

Roger

It's worth a try on one rod, perhaps try really big baits. I'd fish over loads of bait on another rod, and maybe fish 5-10 foot away from the bed of bait as sometimes the bigger fish hang back and feed around the edges. Don't however forget that big fish don't get big by not eating much.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

If you toss in enough bait over a period of time, won't the big gals move in and drive the tiddlers away? Lots of maize should do the trick and not be too expensive. Should also get the fish used to food similar to a meilie bomb or pack bait. Might be something in http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A...pack_baits.html that could help you out - at least give the fish something different to play with.

What sort of depths?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, lighting took the pc and the telephone line out. :wallbash:

I have been trying some of the things you chaps said.

what I have been up to is mini tigers mixed with maize, a jumbo tiger on the hair with the feed only a hand ful. i have been using the canoe to take the lines out, yes mild sucess.

I have set my heart on a forty this year, I know they are there, but to get them man frustration. The water holds some really big fish, they have been landed but the water is known to be a hard water.

lee jackson was there for a few days and managed to get a coulpe of thirties out. So I still have a hope.

Roger

Roger

I came from SA and i have been living in the uk for 4 years now. One thing i have learned over here is if you want big fish use big bait, and allot of it. The guys over here go out with 20kg of bait for a 48hour session.and it works. the other very important thing is that you cast spot on every time. in some magazines the guys wrote that to make sure you cast in the same place every time you should mark your line. One method i use is i tie bright floresend coulerd line just behind my reel after i have made the cast.

But i agree with elton: big bait = big fish

Johan

Big Jo

Go BIG or go Home

Roger

I came from SA and i have been living in the uk for 4 years now. One thing i have learned over here is if you want big fish use big bait, and allot of it. The guys over here go out with 20kg of bait for a 48hour session.and it works. the other very important thing is that you cast spot on every time. in some magazines the guys wrote that to make sure you cast in the same place every time you should mark your line. One method i use is i tie bright floresend coulerd line just behind my reel after i have made the cast.

But i agree with elton: big bait = big fish

Johan

Hi Big Jo,

So you know the problem the cats pose in summer, any big feeding area calls them and they clean all your feed out.

At the South African Chapionships we use a lot of bait and i mean lots, but that is keep the fish in your swim and the fish weigh in mostly between 1,5kg to 6.5 kgs but lots of them.

Roger