sandeel

roryh

Anyone know a good way of catching sandeel for use as live-bait?

I know a place alive with them from early summer but have tried various netting methods only to find the eels are a damn site faster than i am.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Anyone know a good way of catching sandeel for use as live-bait?

I know a place alive with them from early summer but have tried various netting methods only to find the eels are a damn site faster than i am.

Hi

Try small shrimper rigs if you are trying to catch them with a rod.

A dropnet hauled up quickly in a pier is useful... although you have to be very quick (a bicycle wheel rim is a good start).

A castnet is better if you are working off a beach. You can buy any number of these... can also work off a pier.

A pushnet is also useful if you are working off a beach where they are burying themselves... similarly you can dig them out (watch out for weaverfish) if they are there in sufficient quantities... use a potato fork and throw it up onto dry land.

There is a knife like instrument called a vingler that can be used also, again where the eels are buried, but it requires skill and quick reflexes...

THT...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Thanks guys

Will be trying a few of those ideas, the eels shoal in the shallows in @ 10 - 15 foot shoals here so am thinking some form of fine wide net like the castnet may be my best bet, however will be finding out what a seine net is as well :thumbs:

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?