Lower Itchen fish-in 17th Feb.

seph

Hi Folks,

I will be sorting out my kit this weekend as I wont have time to do it next week. I will be taking my 13' match rod, a small fixed spool reel loaded with 3lb line, and a light quivertip rod'n'reel loaded with 4lb line. As I have not fished this river before I was just wandering if this would be ok??

I will be taking a couple of pints of maggotts (anybody know what colour works best there??)

And I will also be taking some corn, bread and red worms.

Are there any big perch in there as I might get some Lobs??

What is everybody else taking??

Ant

Might be slightly undergunned - I usually go with 6lb main line and 3.5-4lb hooklengths. Tis very fast water and a big grayling will twist and twist all the way to the net!! Plus there's always the chance of a sea trout (mate had a 7lber earlier this season!). Never heard of any perch from the venue but there's a fair few decent chub and there's even a few barbel in the weirpool at the bottom of the fishery! I usually go with at least 3pints of maggots for a whole day. Reds are often the best - though when we went a couple of weeks ago I could only get grayling on whites! And my mate had success with red/white cocktails. I had 3 chub on dendras...

Have a good one chaps - and I'll expect a full report - I'm down again the week after!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Anthony78, suggest you take some sweetcorn with you. Works a treat on that stretch.

I will be taking a couple of pints of maggotts (anybody know what colour works best there??)

And I will also be taking some corn bread and red worms.

Hi Pete,

Way ahead of you m8 ;) , Thanks anyway.

I'm trying to convince my other half that if I don't buy a centrepin for this weekend then I might as well not go. It seems to be working so far so does anybody know of any sites that are doing a special offer on the okuma sheffield because my local tackle shop will meet any web offer so I can take advantage of this ??

Also I've heard that if you get an extra eye wipped on to the rod about 12" from the reel then it makes casting easier. Is this true??

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Ant,

Take reds and whites with you, that's what I do. I usually take more reds than whites.

As for your reel this is a good deal £110

http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/tackle2u/prods/pc13.html

I have the Aventa, the cheap one and I love it :thumbs: it is free running and I am really getting into trotting with a 'pin' as it is not my first style of fishing then it suits me. I have considered treating myself to a more expensive one but it would be more for 'pose' value then anything. The one I have does what I want of it, well apart from catchin g a few more fish!

I was looking at the Sheffield ain my local tackle shop and it does look the busines.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Seph,

I rang my local tackle shop and they are doing it for £110 also. Thanks for the site though, I can add it to my favourites list with the hundreds of others.

Hi Lyn,

A mate of mine brought the Aventa pro which he let me have a play with. If the quality of that has anything to go by then I cant wait to get my hands on the sheffield.

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Seph,

I rang my local tackle shop and they are doing it for £110 also. Thanks for the site though, I can add it to my favourites list with the hundreds of others.

Hi Lyn,

A mate of mine brought the Aventa pro which he let me have a play with. If the quality of that has anything to go by then I cant wait to get my hands on the sheffield.

Thanks

Ant

Seph you have a PM.

rich