Canal Match Angling

wayne Lyons

Hi

A question to all you canal match anglers....

How do you keep them coming, i love canal fishing and i do ok but whenever i look at canal match results the wt are alway big, my question is if i want to catch big wt on canal on 4/5 hours sessions what do i need to do over that period.........

Thanks

Wayne....

Hi

A question to all you canal match anglers....

How do you keep them coming, i love canal fishing and i do ok but whenever i look at canal match results the wt are alway big, my question is if i want to catch big wt on canal on 4/5 hours sessions what do i need to do over that period.........

Thanks

Wayne....

find a spot of the canal where no one is around and is off the beat'n path.

Pre-bait for a few weeks at the spot you picked "not used by other anglers" the fish will then begin to include this spot in their patrol.

rake a little swim for ledgering, prebait that also but not as much about one ball of ground bait should do as its only a small area you need to rake. Get rid of the evidence if anyone sees the weed you raked they will know whats going on :P

try and bait up without anyone seeing you, if even one person who fishes around their sees you do it your gonna end up with about 3 guys with tenants lager in your swim.

always keep pre-baiting your spots i think about 2 times a week to keep the fish interested in this area, soon it will have a nice healthy population of fish and big'ns

thats about the only advice i can give for now. throw in some worms for the perch, canals can throw up the most suprising perch and dont over bait the swim, use your best judgment

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

If you mean real canal matches there is no way you can prebait a venue or swim as the peg numbers will be drawn out of a hat on the morning of the match!

Depends on what you call a big weight really, I guess in the summer catches of Roach and the odd skimmer Bream are obviously common and maybe the odd Carp but generally the canal matches I used to fish have could have been won with anything from 2lb up to 20lb.

Are you sure the matches you have looked at been on Canals or could they have been lake fisheries with stocked Carp resulting in massive weights?

Where have the matches been held mate?

Really need to know which canal and area of it your intersted in. On the grand union in the area i use to fish a winning weight could be between 2lb and 100lb depending on the section being fished.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Canal match angling can be a nightmare if there not in front of you its hard work. Unlike on a river where the fish will move a lot on a canal you can blank and the guy next to you win the match (been there done that and got the t shirt) or by reverse all you can really do is stick to the little and often feediing method. Chances are guys winning the match are getting the bonus fish.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

When i used to be a canal angler chooped worm and caster on the far bank accounted for the bonus fish, mainly chub and roach but we are talking a while ago {Erewash canal} and if theres not much boat traffic maggot down the middle was the way to go and squatt and fine groundbait {a mate of mine always swore by sensas picarde}close in at 2.5 m wether this would work on your cut i dont have a clue but you dont say if your pole fishing or rod and line?

When i used to be a canal angler chooped worm and caster on the far bank accounted for the bonus fish, mainly chub and roach but we are talking a while ago {Erewash canal} and if theres not much boat traffic maggot down the middle was the way to go and squatt and fine groundbait {a mate of mine always swore by sensas picarde}close in at 2.5 m wether this would work on your cut i dont have a clue but you dont say if your pole fishing or rod and line?

Where about did you fish on erewash?

I live right next to it and have been fishing it once a week for a couple of months, Have been no where else yet as I have just got back into it.

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"