The wife has given a command

smalltincup

Hi Guys

You need to be careful spooling up on baitrunner reels, as they are in my experience dreadful for line twist. Due to the baitrunner system and the small spools every time you get a run you add twist. There has been a lot written about the best way to spool up and a lot of contraditions....Fixing the spool on one of these line machines is great for multuplier type reels as they don't twist like fixed spool reels do... With these sytems you add tons of twist before you start fishing... this soon leads to problems...

Here is how I was shown how to do it by Shaun Harrison, who just happens to have 30 years experience working in a tackle shop..

Drop the spool of line into a bucket or the lake and fill up to the lip of the spool... the added benefit of filling with wet line is that it beds down better and you actually fill the spool to the correct depth. (Don't forget line is wet when you use it, and cast with it.)

It is then a good idea if you have the possibility, to go into a field or down the bank of the lake, and walk the line out to the knot and wind it back in with no rig or what ever on it...

This system get your line to the right depth and should have no twist. I sounds long winded but I've done four rods in 10 minutes on the bankside.

One of the best accessories though is the Berkley line stripper...makes life much easier.

Finally one of the Gardner Spin Doctors can help untwist the line to some extent on the bait runner reels if it gets to be a problem and it will.

How quickly you get twist build up depends on how you fill your spools and how much you use your clutch. Baitboating out 100 yard splus off the clutch will cause twist to build up in a few runs out.

Regards

Gareth

Here's one I made last year for myself. It works a treat :thumbs: .

Line winder

OI OI,

Nice bit of kit if your a enginneer, with plenty of aluminium lying about, but as i say nice bit of kit.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Best get Shaun to come and show me how to do it then as Ive been using the Murph-o-matic pencil method now for over 40 years and have no problems at all! Its the line comming off the baitrunner that imparts the twist not the loading (as long as its done right of course!).Jeeze 30 years in a tackle shop to learn to chuck a spool of line in a bucket of water eh? :rolleyes:

All that seeing which side of the spool it should come off has always confused me to (not the actual physics but the why bother in the first place?) as if you let it come off as it was put on in the first place surely thats better? Or do people think that (in actual fact what you are doing) imparting the corect direction of twist as it comes of the side of the spool counter acts the twist that winding it on the reel puts on??!!

God knows but at the end of the day its worked fine for me for all these years regardless of the theory so Im not going to change! Its a lot easier being stupid sometimes you know.

A bank stick through the spool and jammed under the cushions of the couch works fine if you cant bear to replace an un coperative wife! Also a tea towel helps protect female fingers! I reckon its not your Mrs at all.....you just wanted to justify spending some dosh on a gadget!! :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!