Zander session

Anderoo

I'm off to the homelands in a couple of weeks for a long weekend zander and pike fishing (plus some roach and bream if the conditions are right). (I should be at the Itchen, but well...long story!) So, does anyone have any info on how it's fishing at the moment? I don't need specifics but we're planning to be on the cut-off/relief channel/middle level, depending on what the weather's like. I'm also going to have a morning on the Wissey for old time's sake.

Don't tell me - no decent zeds out all year, and all the pike are tiny! :headhurt:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to the homelands in a couple of weeks for a long weekend zander and pike fishing (plus some roach and bream if the conditions are right). (I should be at the Itchen, but well...long story!) So, does anyone have any info on how it's fishing at the moment? I don't need specifics but we're planning to be on the cut-off/relief channel/middle level, depending on what the weather's like. I'm also going to have a morning on the Wissey for old time's sake.

Don't tell me - no decent zeds out all year, and all the pike are tiny! :headhurt:

i would keep a close eye on the weather mate but i should think you will be okay as regards a trip to most venues, though i think it might be very hard work on the relief channel.

was on the old nene on saturday and that was a bit out of sorts as its still pretty coloured. but the ouse looks fine, i would imagine that the level will be running from about 10am -3pm but other than that should be perfectly fishable.

an there have been one or two decent zeds out this year mate, like this one! :clap2:

lilzander15.JPG

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Nice one Mark.was that recent?

Ive not done to well with the zeds this year.Mind you not been out as much as normal.

yes budgie the week before christmas and a new PB at 15lb 0.5oz :thumbs:

Mark Barrett

Very nice fish Mark, I've seen that pic somewhere else (can't remember where now). Nice to see a smiling predator angler too!

Cheers for the info folks, I'll let you know how I do. If nothing else it'll be great to be 'home' again for a few days :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Very nice fish Mark, I've seen that pic somewhere else (can't remember where now). Nice to see a smiling predator angler too!

Cheers for the info folks, I'll let you know how I do. If nothing else it'll be great to be 'home' again for a few days :)

Sorry I didn't mean good luck Budgie (although of course good luck anyway) I meant good luck Anderoo!

Whats your current pb? What I find exciting about the idea of fishing for Zander is that since its a relatively new species there must always be a good chance of actually breaking the British record! But maybe I'm wrong - how often does it get broken?

Current pb is only 6lb (I only started fishing for them just before moving from the fens) so it's on the cards. I've caught a lot of them, but no biggies. As for breaking the record, I have a mate who fishes almost exclusively for them and it's not that easy! The population is settled now, and while it can be easy to catch them if the conditions are right, breaking the record is a whole other story. A quick look at the relief channel or middle level will give you an idea of how daunting it can be. Even fishing for them nearly full-time, the odds are stacked against you. Mark B may want to correct me, but I believe it's taken him a long time to crack the 15lb barrier, and he's apparently not a bad dangler :)

Even if there's a record breaker in your swim (one of thousands across miles and miles of featureless water) they can be finicky sods even when they're feeding.

Blimey, I paint quite a bleak picture don't I? :lol:

Having said that I'm sure the record's gone a few times but the captors have kept it quiet. The last thing the serious zed-men want is the circus in town, and who can blame them. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure my mate would tell me if he'd done it!

Maybe the zed record is now 30lb? :P

Current pb is only 6lb (I only started fishing for them just before moving from the fens) so it's on the cards. I've caught a lot of them, but no biggies. As for breaking the record, I have a mate who fishes almost exclusively for them and it's not that easy! The population is settled now, and while it can be easy to catch them if the conditions are right, breaking the record is a whole other story. A quick look at the relief channel or middle level will give you an idea of how daunting it can be. Even fishing for them nearly full-time, the odds are stacked against you. Mark B may want to correct me, but I believe it's taken him a long time to crack the 15lb barrier, and he's apparently not a bad dangler :)

Even if there's a record breaker in your swim (one of thousands across miles and miles of featureless water) they can be finicky sods even when they're feeding.

Blimey, I paint quite a bleak picture don't I? :lol:

Having said that I'm sure the record's gone a few times but the captors have kept it quiet. The last thing the serious zed-men want is the circus in town, and who can blame them. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure my mate would tell me if he'd done it!

Maybe the zed record is now 30lb? :P

spot on anderoo,

because no one stocks zeds and they are very much a wild fish and a predator too boot, its almost impossible to "grow on" a record and so very much the record get broken out of the blue.

the current record stands at 19lb 5.5oz and has stood for nearly ten years i believe as i am not 100 per cent on the date.

yes, it took me a long while to break the 15lb barrier, in fact hat barrier is like the pikers 30lber, roach 3lb er etc, they just dont come along very often in a lifetime.

personally i dont think that the record will go unless we have a very warm close to the season, or one gets caught from the numbers of pits that hold them.

but they are one hell of an impressive fish when they get past double figures, which is why i still go chasing after them, both here and abroad. in fact this winter i am running trips oer to the ebro in spain in conjunction with www.catfishcapers.co.uk

Mark Barrett