Fishing - Essex/East London

Chigwell hammer

Hi all - Never really used my account before but thought i would get back on here to ask and few questions.

Not fished for couple years for few reasons having a daughter being the main one! Anyway, Can people give me some decent fishing places in Essex or East London? I live in Loughton.

I don't drive so need to rely on public transport or my feet ! I've got the River Roding on my doorstep no idea what that would be like? What about the canals around the Olympic stadium in Stratford, London.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Chigwell hammer

The Roding suffered a huge polution a few years back, but is recovering, recent reports of good chub and perch, and the EA stocked 2000 6 inch chub into the river near shonks mill last winter!

Also, this place appears to be near you, and not too far from public transport, I've never fished it, not my cup of tea, so can't tell you any more!! http://redbridgelakes.co.uk/

Mat

Cheers for the reply Mat - I will look into the Redbridge one you have mentioned and will give the River Roding a try next month. What size hooks would be best for the river? Like i said not fished in years.

I've also finally found the name of the lake that is near me Roding Valley Lake. Has anyone on here fished this?

Well if you are going after the big chub and perch, I'd go for big hooks 4-8 and big baits like lob worms. if you are near shonks mill and fancy a bag of chubletts then a 16 hook and some maggots :)

Can't help with Roding Valley lake, I try not to come inside the M25 if I can help it !!

Another one worth looking at would be the Warren at Stanford Le Hope, it's about a mile from the train station, so walkable if you pack light (I did it when I was without a car for a season!), and is IMHO one of the best day ticket waters in Essex.

http://www.thewarrenfishery.co.uk/

Mat

Mat