Has anyone got a Vision Koma 9/11 reel?

ShedHed

I've recently acquired a Vision Koma Salmon reel rated #9-11. The blurb states that it needs about 270m of backing for a #11 line. Now I want to put a #9 line on, does that mean i need about 400m+ of backing? and does this relate to gel spun or more ordinary? Just wanted to see if anyone had any practical experience and what they used. Cheers.

I've got one. Bought it last year for Tarpon, also got the smaller one (8/9) for Bonefish and Pike. Good reels for the price, though I seem to have got some corrosion on the rotating handle of the smaller one even though its been well washed after each use in saltwater, makes it stiff when first used. WD40 has helped.

I'm not sure exactly how much backing I have on the large one but think it's about 200m of dacron with a 10wt line.

You obviously don't need to add backing to fill out the reel before putting a lighter line on it but it does help increase the size of coils on the line which is good.

John

Do you have 2 spools? You could always do everything backwards first on one spool to get it right. Fly line then backing, then change spools and wind on backing first followed by fly line.

Paul Singleton

Got the 11# last September, rated as 300 x 30lb backing. I used a 300yd spool but had a fair bit left over on the spool, reckon I got around 230-250 max on with a 9# line. Having said that could probably have got 400-500 yds of 30-40lb braid.

Good enough reel with a smooth clutch (at the moment) see what happens in a few months. <_<

I have a couple of them for salmon fishing, and they seem good value for the money, though I have read one or two reports of them breaking. I don't know what lines the manufacturers have based the capacities on; they may be OK for a shooting head or WF line designed for single handed use, but I think they're hopelessly optimistic where modern speycasting lines are concerned. If you're looking at salmon reels, the Koma has noticeably less capacity than, for example, a Marquis 2, Magnum 200D or other conventional reels.

I just re-read the box, it stating for WF line, and I believe spey lines are much bigger, so I imagine a lot less backing required, maybe 300yds of gel spun for a #9? Though I think I will do as suggested, put line on first then whatever backing will fit, then reverse.