Scotland pass new shark legislation

Ian Burrett

Scotland has passed a law banning the finning of all sharks by Scottish vessels anywhere and vessels operating in Scottish waters.

See http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotlan...07/20070039.htm

Hi Ian,

I have never heard of any Scots boats shark finning, or even any foreigners doing it in Scots waters. Is that the case, or am i behind the times?

If it is as i understand then why has this law been introduced? Who lobbied to put this one in, and why?

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Ian,

I have never heard of any Scots boats shark finning, or even any foreigners doing it in Scots waters. Is that the case, or am i behind the times?

If it is as i understand then why has this law been introduced? Who lobbied to put this one in, and why?

Chris

Hi Chris

I haven;t a clue where this came from. I was sent the link last night. Bit I will find out more.

I guess its in reply to Spain and Frances attempts to increase the percentage of allowable fins. At the Eu talks last December all parties agreed to back a CITEES 11 proposal but it appears Spain and France are renegading on the deal.

As far as I am aware this is the first time Scotland has brought in Elasmpbranch protection and should be welcomed. Hopefully other legislation will follow.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk