Greys Barbel Rod

Arcturus

Hi,

I have been looking for a new rod and I quite like the look of the Greys Prodigy Barbel. Has anyone ever used one?

I would like the rod to be multi purpose; good for barbel but also good for feeder fishing if required.

Any opinions?

Thanks

I just got one, 1.75lb TC 3 piece. Had one outing with it so far. Well built and finished. Perhaps a little on the heavy side, but I don't have much experience of this kind of rod. As odd as it sounds, I've fished most of my life with light float rods and specimen rods, avoiding the middle ground. Also, not convinced that the balance is great, but again this might just be me. You seem to get an awful lot of rod for the money - one standard tip and a push in quiver with 3 tips.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I have the three piece 1.75 and 1.5 test curve rods in question. Avon section and 3 quiver tips , how can you go wrong.

The rivers I fish 'spech this time of year are up and down like crazy , so to be able to temper the tip the the situation is a bonus , an Avon if you wanna get serious. The Avon tip will transform the 1.5 into a perfectly acceptable float rod , or the 1.75 a handy ledger rod , I've easily handled Carp over 10lb , Barbel close to same , Sturgeon to 13lb plus many heafty Chub and Bream. Sure you can buy cheaper but has a decent guarantee and fantastic finish. If our float fishing friend found them heavy that's 'cos they're a different rod for different jobs !

Sure you can buy cheaper but has a decent guarantee and fantastic finish. If our float fishing friend found them heavy that's 'cos they're a different rod for different jobs !

Possibly he meant "unbalanced" rather than "heavy", in which case I agree with him, but then that seems to be true of most rods these days (this is starting to become a bit of an obsession with me :rolleyes: ).

Rods are much more comfortable to use when they have a point of balance, with the reel fitted, just above the handle (not, as Steve Burke and others have pointed out, at the reel, which gives an unpleasant see-sawing feel).

I've just read the post again and spotted that Sipadan did mention both weight *and* balance - sorry! :blink:

Hi,

I have been looking for a new rod and I quite like the look of the Greys Prodigy Barbel. Has anyone ever used one?

I would like the rod to be multi purpose; good for barbel but also good for feeder fishing if required.

Any opinions?

Thanks

I treated my self to a pair of these rods two years ago and i use them week in week out. Yes the weight & balance is not great at first if your used to lighter float rods. But these are the best barbel i have ever used and the only rod i would want in my hands when playing a good barbel or and fishing in a winter river. I also used them for method fishing for large bream(1000lb in 8hours), worming for salmon and sea trout (15lb)& light carping (20lb).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep