Fly D.I.Y

Andy_1984

with spring and summer closing in i want to take up fly fishing this year for trout and occasional pike, ive already done the basics and had some practice but never realy "Fished" with a fly, i love to make my own lures for pike and trout and perch and wouldnt mind havin a go at fly tying, any advice would be greatful and of course what is a realy good affordable tying platform thingy with the little grabber thing for holding hook "you know what i mean:P".

all the ones ive seen so far are realy realy expensive, in the hundreds, i understand fly fishing is a prestigous thing but £245 :blink:

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

No need to spend mega bucks at all.You can pick up a vice and tools anywhere for a sensible amount.Take a look on ebay,usually lods on there.You can get away with just a vice,bobbin holder and threader,scissors and whip finish tool to start with.Can always add hackle pliers,dubbing needle etc later.

Only my advice,but just buy materials you actually need,rather tahn a kit,you will probably end up with lots of stuff you may never use.

Take a look at www.fish4it.co.uk

Excellent service and reasonably priced materials.Have been using him for well over a year now and no problems.

No need to spend mega bucks at all.You can pick up a vice and tools anywhere for a sensible amount.Take a look on ebay,usually lods on there.You can get away with just a vice,bobbin holder and threader,scissors and whip finish tool to start with.Can always add hackle pliers,dubbing needle etc later.

Only my advice,but just buy materials you actually need,rather tahn a kit,you will probably end up with lots of stuff you may never use.

Take a look at www.fish4it.co.uk

Excellent service and reasonably priced materials.Have been using him for well over a year now and no problems.

your right with the stuff you never use as i have tons of crap from my lure making, it ends up being useful at some point though, i seen someone using a proper diy vice for bending metal, i asume id need somthing proper looking with the realy small vice that looks like long nose pliers and possibly a small magnifyin glass on it, i tend to be a bit heavy handed soemtimes when i cant see what i m doing. looks like a lot of fun cant wait to get started.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk