Politely asked to leave lake....

izzetafox

:schmoll:

Well I have been giving the Tobago some stick on the River Soar, the Grand Union Canal, Llyn Padarn and King Lear's Lake in Leicester.

Really enjoying it as is my frequent crew member my grandson. Generally well accepted by other water users.

I even contacted the Ranger by e-mail at Leicester's Watermead Park, home of King Lear's. When after a couple of weeks I had no reply I sent one to Leicester City Council asking what kayak access there was on council owned water...still no reply. There were no signs on the local information boards refferring to any for of boats, yaks etc.

So I thought I would try paddling there and see if anyone intervenes. On my fourth trip and the first one with some piking gear I set my stall out for a bit of dead-baiting and spinning.

After about 20 minutes the bailiff for fishing had a chat with me and had no objections, indeed offered some advice as to where to fish.

Just after moving to what was supposed to be a hot spot the rangers van turned up and called me to shore.

He said boating was not allowed....

I asked why he or the council had not told me this in reply to my e-mails.

His reply was that 'No reply could not be construed as consent'.

I told him I had already paddled several times and he had driven by so I thought if there was a ban that he would have approached me then.

At this point he became very sympathetic and appologised for his negligence. He explained it was not the rangers decision but the local council did not have insurance to cover accidents involving boaters and so it was banned.

This was fair enough but a shame. I should point out at all times the chat was genial.

The funny thing was that after 30 minutes banter about sit-on-tops he said that he and his side kick were going to get a Canadian canoe to paddle the entire length of the River Soar but having seen the stability of the Tobago he was now intending to get a 2 up sot.

He was also impressed by the Crewsaver drysuit and the fact I used a PFD and thought paddle leashes were a good idea.

Shame about being kicked off but nice to have made a 'convert' and the guy genuinely seemed sincere when he said he regretted that a 'responsible' yakker cannot use the facilities.

Oh well the river should have run off by now........

Roll on the Lleyn Peninsular. :clap2:

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

Simple matter of council incompetance. Write to the chief executive with copies of your correspondance and ask how their refusal to reply fits in with their citizens charter ( I would guess they should have acknoledged your correspondance within 5 days and replied within 28). Ask them to refund your petrol costs!! worth a try :thumbs:

Ok Prowler 13

Might be worth asking the British Canoe Union thier oppinion.

I have recently joined, and have public liability as a member.

Ask the council if belonging to the BCU and having insurance would make a difference.

Worth a go id say :thumbs:

Nice that the Ranger was sympathetic and recognised his mistake, good egg.

Bill.

With regards to insurance...I am considering joining the BCU as by paying about £20 you get access to all British Waterways Waters i.e. most of the canal in UK plus 3rd Party Liability insurance.

Might give a bit of leverage.

I intend to try cancvassing a number of inland fisheries to see if they have or can be persuaded to have a kayak policy for anglers. There are so many waters that have vast unfished areas where yakkers could venture without disturbing bank anglers. The only problem is ensuring the idiots don't go afloat and spoil things.... :unsure:

The ranger said one of the issues was that althought I had taken proper precautions for my safety kids seeing me on the water might try going afloat and not be so careful. As an example of the mentality of some of the kids around here he had to throw some kids off who were swimming in it last Sunday when it was difficult to tell the difference between the lake and the nearby canal and river due to flood water!!!! I suppose that is what you are up against. :wallbash:

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

The politicians need to stamp this claim culture out. The whole world is run by bloody lawyers! Saying that I reckon insurance is used as an excuse half the time, if in doubt say no it's safer.

Funny how this kind of thing conflicts with the whole freedom to paddle movement which wants to open up all the waterways for kayaks?

our village has banned canoes (and fishing) but still hold a annual raft race with child events strange eh! ,in banning the canoes the council brought up "weils disease further upstream" in their reasons ! i asked the councillor to provide proof of this "fact" after 3 years and a couple of reminders i still wait.

another reason was in the "destruction" of the banks ! i provided a link to a 19th century photo that showed the banks a sea of mud and showed the bridal path upstream from the bridge not down as its stated today and the river far wider than now ,rather than "destroying" the banks the council in fencing off the river are silting it up.

i spoke to one of the councillors in the shop stating that its my right to do anything i please from the village green because the land was donated for the pleasure of the village residents and their fencing is stopping me doing it !! she said she would mention it at the next meeting ,they were also not well informed to who traditionally had the rights to fish there she said the X X fly fishing club could still fish there but didnt know that XX used to be part of YYY club whose membersused to fish there when the pond froze ,this little fact would be "mentioned" as well!!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson