What's the best Kayak for me?

scotsgun

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NIko. You have hit it on the head. Different strokes etc. I think its great that people are singing the praises of different Yaks. All have strengths and weaknesses and suit different needs. The only problem is that many people that are new to the sport buy into this myth that wider is more stable and this mistake can lead to lots of extra expenditure and a few unexpected dunkings.

The other myth is that the main reason for a narrow Yak is so that you can cover more distance or just get there quicker. The main reason for a narrower yak is so that you can handle tougher sea conditions when that suprise squall gets you. This was highlighted to me on my first serious trip out when me and Richi (very experienced paddler) was hit by 25-30mph winds (not forcast). Richi in the Caper could not make any headway and had to hit the nearest bit of shingle while the scupper allowed me to make it into a more sheltered bay. Luckily there was some shingle in amongst the cliffs for Richi to beach. Richi decided there and then that he needed a new kayak and his tarty love affair with the P13 was born. Narrower yaks also use less energy when paddling leaving more in reserve for that unexpected emergency. The down side is normally less storage space on deck and often a wetter ride. Is there a truly dry ride?

All this means nothing if your plans are to fish estuaries and sheltered waters. Here the Scupper is over kill and my next purchase, if I buy with my head, will probably be a shorter yak for inlets etc. Although my heart tells me that I could have a serious affair with a Dorado. A match made in He.............well enough of that the purse keeper still wants a new kitchen :-)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

NIko. You have hit it on the head. Different strokes etc. I think its great that people are singing the praises of different Yaks. All have strengths and weaknesses and suit different needs. The only problem is that many people that are new to the sport buy into this myth that wider is more stable and this mistake can lead to lots of extra expenditure and a few unexpected dunkings.

The other myth is that the main reason for a narrow Yak is so that you can cover more distance or just get there quicker. The main reason for a narrower yak is so that you can handle tougher sea conditions when that suprise squall gets you. This was highlighted to me on my first serious trip out when me and Richi (very experienced paddler) was hit by 25-30mph winds (not forcast). Richi in the Caper could not make any headway and had to hit the nearest bit of shingle while the scupper allowed me to make it into a more sheltered bay. Luckily there was some shingle in amongst the cliffs for Richi to beach. Richi decided there and then that he needed a new kayak and his tarty love affair with the P13 was born. Narrower yaks also use less energy when paddling leaving more in reserve for that unexpected emergency. The down side is normally less storage space on deck and often a wetter ride. Is there a truly dry ride?

All this means nothing if your plans are to fish estuaries and sheltered waters. Here the Scupper is over kill and my next purchase, if I buy with my head, will probably be a shorter yak for inlets etc. Although my heart tells me that I could have a serious affair with a Dorado. A match made in He.............well enough of that the purse keeper still wants a new kitchen :-)

there loads off good points you have made there ,i do feel the need to add that a wide yak does not mean one with poor secondary stability i tested the x to try and find its tip point and i could not tip it

the water was filling the rod holders

,as well as the wide yak being more stable mith there seems to be a newer version which reads wide yak equall poor secondary and this is not always the case

,as far as dryer ride gos well its a water sport but with the x i stop paddling and the floor well stays dry ,and i know this can not be said of the prowler

to be honest the caper is no way near as sea worthy as the x factor but then the x is not as "rough stuff capable" as the scupper

varierty is the spice of life and all that

Edited by niko