Cleaning out the pond

eamonn321

I'm trying to pluck up courage to have a go at emptying my pond to remove the silt. I've never done this before and would appreciate some advice.

I can use the pump to take most of the water out and I have 3 plastic dustbins to put the fish in although I have 4-5 fish that are 12"-18" long which won't give them much room for swimming around. After I've removed all the muck from the pond what water should I put back? I thought perhaps the 3 dustbins worth of pond water but that will only put about a foot of water back. Should I just let it fill up with rain or is it safe to put some tap water in? Also, how long is it safe to keep the fish swimming round in circles in their dustbins for?

I will be doing the same job myself in a couple of weeks time. Only this time I have to replace the liner and build in a water fall so I will probably end up deepening and extending the thing at the same time.

As a result of past experience I intend to splash out and hire a drainage pump from a local tool hire shop. The average pond pump may be alright for a fountain and filter but they take for ever to empty even a comparatively small pond like mine whereas a proper drainage pump with a 2" hose will do the job in minutes. This means that the pond can be emptied and refilled a couple of times or more during a day so giving it a proper clean out.

As for refilling I have always just used tap water with one of the proprietary additives to get rid of the chlorine etc. without any apparent harm coming to the fish. In fact I use the same for my aquarium and there are Discus in that which are supposed to be very picky about their water condition. Having said that I have been reliably informed that the additives are not really necessary as the aeration effect as the water goes in does the job of getting rid of the chemicals just as well.

The other thing I intend doing is buying a cheap plastic kiddies paddling pool to keep the fish in while I am doing the work. The main advantage over a dustbin being the amount of water surface area which is more important than depth for the well being of the fish. Not forgetting of course to cover it with a net while the fish are in it.

But like you it is not a job that I ever look forward to and I normally use the frog spawn as an excuse to delay it as long as possible.

A Hammond

The easiest and quickest way to empty a garden pond is to put your waders on and get in it, then empty it onto the grass with a bucket, being in the water saves a lot of backache. Keep an eye out for fish you might chuck out.

A temporary pond can be made of polythene sheet, supported by bricks, planks or whatever, but as you have them, use the three bins. Cover them to stop fish trying to jump out (especially orfe) and stop cats falling in.

I would be tempted to wait a month at least because if anything bad is going to happen to a pond, early spring is when it usually happens and changing the water might trigger something. Having said that the fish should be in better condition than they normally would be because it has been such a mild winter.

When you refill the pond use a hose with a spray attachment and set it up on a stand to make plenty of splash, that gets rid of most of the chlorine.

Don't assume that once you've caught all the fish you know about that there are no more. Be careful to check before dumping mud or weed on the compost heap!

I'm enjoying this thread. I've said it every year, but I really do need to sort mine this year. The silt is just too much.

I think I'll pump it down to a certain level and then try to sort the rest by hand.

It may be one of those jobs for which I recruit an unfortunate friend, as mine is a reasonably sized pond with some nice fish in, and I really want to make it as painless as possible for them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest Ferret1959
I'm enjoying this thread. I've said it every year, but I really do need to sort mine this year. The silt is just too much.

I think I'll pump it down to a certain level and then try to sort the rest by hand.

It may be one of those jobs for which I recruit an unfortunate friend, as mine is a reasonably sized pond with some nice fish in, and I really want to make it as painless as possible for them.

Try B'ham city council.

I hear they are trying to get jobs done before the end of the month.

P.S. Wear old clothes. You've never smelt anything like what you'll find at the bottom of a pond!!

I intend to wear my chest waders :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE