V.H.F. Radio help

happymondays

Hi All

Could anyone give me some ideas on what V.H.F. Radio to buy and what too look for, never used one but going to get some info on the use and radio talk, i want to have all the items of safety i can were i fish doesnt have reception on the mobile phone. I go out regular with lobster pots and fish too and most times i go solo its a labour of love but lobster thermador doesnt half taste good.

Anyhow back to the radios do most come waterproof and i read in last months sea angler icom do a floating one icom m33 any ideas would be gratefully received over and out.........

ICOM by far the best.

Te new Nexus 1500 from Silva is also very, very good and suitable anywhere in the world - just tell it where you ae and it tunes to the frequencies for the channels in that region. Not all channels are the same freq all around the world - so don't buy a USA VHF for use over here - the channels are all wrong!

When looking at waterproofness - don't rely on a waterproof VHF to look after it. The corrosive efects of saltwatr will still get it - IPX7 or IPX 8 many are now built to means that if you dunk it you can still use it to communicate. It doesn not mean you can soak it and forget it.

The new M33 from ICOM is waterproof and floats - but you would still need to give it a good rinse if it got doused. Better by far to keep your VHF in a ziplock freezer bag. They are cheap and keep the water off. You can still use it through the polythene. Aquapac make a heavier version of a freezer bag in a shaped to fit form - at about £25 and they are no more reliable. My phone looked like a goldfish from a fairground ride in one after it got dropped at the slipway on return. It was supposed to be waterproof.......well it held water OK!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

ICOM by far the best.

Te new Nexus 1500 from Silva is also very, very good and suitable anywhere in the world - just tell it where you ae and it tunes to the frequencies for the channels in that region. Not all channels are the same freq all around the world - so don't buy a USA VHF for use over here - the channels are all wrong!

When looking at waterproofness - don't rely on a waterproof VHF to look after it. The corrosive efects of saltwatr will still get it - IPX7 or IPX 8 many are now built to means that if you dunk it you can still use it to communicate. It doesn not mean you can soak it and forget it.

The new M33 from ICOM is waterproof and floats - but you would still need to give it a good rinse if it got doused. Better by far to keep your VHF in a ziplock freezer bag. They are cheap and keep the water off. You can still use it through the polythene. Aquapac make a heavier version of a freezer bag in a shaped to fit form - at about £25 and they are no more reliable. My phone looked like a goldfish from a fairground ride in one after it got dropped at the slipway on return. It was supposed to be waterproof.......well it held water OK!

Thanks Simon for the advice got some thinking to do cheers Scott

Scott - when looking go for reliability (Icom or the Silva) and performance - also the quality of the battery is a big part of the price - I have just left my Icom m1EuroV (no longer made) on scan and it ran for 2 days 7 hours before dropping out - constantly running. That is very good battery performance by anyone's standard - as it is a 3 year old battery.

The new Silva NX1500 is supposed to have a 15 hour talk time battery - if you are going away for a few days like Novicejock, then that is pretty important. A full 5 watts output is also worth paying for - some of the cheaper sets state 5 watts, but there is a big difference in how they are measured - you really are better paying a bit more and getting one of the proven to be good makes.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yes you need to take a course it is only a day course (8 hours) and exam at the end

Two good books to read are RYA VHF Radio inc. GMDSS and RYA VHF Radio short range certificate syllabus and sample exam questions you can get them from Smiths £3.70 and £5.50

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I bought a cheap one for £50 and a dry pouch but now need to change it. It only has 3 watts output.

I am getting an ICOM waterproof or Submersible. Make sure you get the best power output you can find. Minimum of 5 watts.

The battery is also an important choice and ensure it has a Lithium Iron which is by far the best.

The RYA training only gives you an "operators Licence" and aswell you must go on to the Ofcom site and register your set. This will give you a free license for your portable or fixed "Radio License". Here the licence for a portable includes the issue of a "T" number which is what is registered with the Coast Guard etc. This is important and provides the coastguard with all your details such as next of kin and other contacts. You must be able to identify yourself with the coastguard and when communicating they will ask you for this.

Hope this helps.

:thumbs: