New to fishing

Axe

I have been looking to make the most of the coast where I live and take up a bit of fishing. More so to harvest some great tasting meals. Having recently taken up hunting in the field I know that there are many laws that concern such activities.

I'm sure theres a section on the forum for this I just havent found it. So if anyone has any advice or suggestions where I can get the gist of the law surrounding beach casting etc. I would much apprecaite it.

Thanks in advance.

Axe.

I have been looking to make the most of the coast where I live and take up a bit of fishing. More so to harvest some great tasting meals. Having recently taken up hunting in the field I know that there are many laws that concern such activities.

I'm sure theres a section on the forum for this I just havent found it. So if anyone has any advice or suggestions where I can get the gist of the law surrounding beach casting etc. I would much apprecaite it.

Thanks in advance.

Axe.

Hi Axe,

First thing that springs to mind is minimum sizes, have a look at this page,

http://www.msbfc.org.uk/size.htm

These are National Federation of Sea Anglers sizes, so they may be slightly bigger than DEFRAs limits.

next thing is insurance, not compulsory but imagine being sued for hitting someone with a 4oz lead, or paying the vets bill when rover swallows your baited up hooks.

dogs can be in your tackle bag before you get a chance to stop em, believe me !

I get my insurance through my NFSA family membership, covers whole family, £5million public liability for fishing accidents world wide.

Oh yeah, get a pocket fish id book too, learn what a weaver fish looks like, they can put you in hospital.

many fish have spikey bits, fins & gills so get a towel, also essential for unhooking eels.

when you catch a dogfish (you will young skywalker, you will ) hold the tail firmly to its head while you unhook it, or it will wrap itself round your wrist & have your skin off.

Don't leave any litter, pick up other peoples fishing litter as it gives us a bad name & always look behind you before you cast. I say this as I once looked behind me only to see a girl whip off her bikini top & its gotta happen again some day.

above all,

enjoy yourself. :)

I shall expect a catch report later :D

Axe,

Living in Sunny Scotland I'm a little bit far away for a fishing session but I have fished Brighton once. I have read many a catch report from that area and I wish I could fish your coast some more. There will be plenty of people to help you out with you new found sport. But as has already been said, fish idents, good pliers for unhooking and cleaning up after yourself will keep you on the right track :thumbs: . NFSA will keep you right on the sizes and with insurance which you will hopfully never need but would be a blessing if it all goes wrong :headhurt: .

Neal

The Skink

I'm a hardcore Fisherman, I just wish I was a hardcore catcher Too

ray.jpg

Thanks for the replies fellas. :)

I hadnt considered the insurance side of things but it makes perfect sense. I have full liability insurance when im in the field and as you say, hopefully I will never need it. But its better to be safe than sorry. My BASC membership is £57 does the NFSA membership cost a similar price, or can a basic insurance be obtained for much less.

I'll have a look on the DEFRA site for sizes to see how they differ from the NFSA. I know this is going to sound daft but when measuring the length of a fish, do you measure to the tip of the tale fin or to the base? When I kept tropical fish we always measured to the tip.

The referrence to the Dogfish makes think that its quite an often occourance to find a variety of unwanted fish on the line. I never expected to get the excat fish I want time after time, but never considered just what other fish might be hooked. Whats that word i'm looking for, thats it naive. :rolleyes:

Tidyness, very good point indeed. Rest assured i'll take my rubbish with me. Nothing worse than walking along the beach to find somebodies discarded fishing left overs. Makes my blood boil.

Once again, thanks for the help, I need all the help I can get. :thumbs:

I'm watching this thread with interest because I have the same questions.

Hope it's okay to ask on your thread Axe, but I was wondering if, in addition to minimum sizes, are there seasons in which particular fish may or may not be fished and kept? If there are, where could I find this information? I looked at the NFSA site but couldn't find any information covering this question. :)

No problem Leoni, at all. :)

Admin/Mods: Not sure wjhat happened here, please delete.

Edited by Axe

No problem Leoni, at all. :)

Admin/Mods: Not sure wjhat happened here, please delete.

Edited by Axe

NFSA family membership is only £19 per year & that includes insurance.

nose to tip for most fish, rays are measured across the wings, lobsters along the length of the big bit of shell.

no close season as such, but you wouldnt want to keep a fish that has just come in to fatten up.

cant take salmon or sea trout without a migratory fish licence, if you catch one put it back safely.

don't do what a welsh poacher did about 10 years ago, the environment agency had electronically tagged several fish & were tracking them to see which bit of river they go up to spawn, when one of them leaped out of the river & charged off up the road at 60mph, they followed it to a house & after a small arguement found it on a kitchen table with some other fish.

are you aware of the need for shock leaders ?

don't do what a welsh poacher did about 10 years ago, the environment agency had electronically tagged several fish & were tracking them to see which bit of river they go up to spawn, when one of them leaped out of the river & charged off up the road at 60mph, they followed it to a house & after a small arguement found it on a kitchen table with some other fish.

are you aware of the need for shock leaders ?

I know I shouldnt laugh but that story had me in hysterics. I can just imagine the poachers face as they pulled the transmitter off. :lol:

Shock Leaders, yes a friend of mine directed me to another site and that was one of the first things mentioned. Like all things, there is so many different names and terminology to take onboard, its been rather overwhelming. But the Shock Leaders is one that I have down, at least by name anyway. Kinda makes sense to have a shorter length of heavier line to take the casting weight. :thumbs:

Edited by Axe