mag elite ct 6500

islander

There are supplied with the reel two fibre brake blocks which are activated via centrifugal force when you execute a cast. If you have bought the reel brand new you'll probably find that these brakes are'nt fitted. To find out if they are fitted undo the 3 knurled securing screws on the handle side of reel and remove, you should see 2 "spikes" running at 6 and 12 oclock on the spool itself, this is where the blocks should be.

They both serve the same purpose, my Daiwa 7ht came with a selection of different sized plastic brakes whereas my Sportsmags and mag elites both came supplied with fibre brakes.The only possible difference i could think of may be that the plastic brakes are less prone to absorb the oil one uses to lubricate the spindle/spool bearings which negates their effectiveness. Ultimately its all down to the manufacturers preference.

Denzle:

They both serve the same purpose, my Daiwa 7ht came with a selection of different sized plastic brakes whereas my Sportsmags and mag elites both came supplied with fibre brakes.The only possible difference i could think of may be that the plastic brakes are less prone to absorb the oil one uses to lubricate the spindle/spool bearings which negates their effectiveness. Ultimately its all down to the manufacturers preference.

:cool: The main difference is that the plastic brakes melt when a big hitter casts. The fibre ones are best all round. :D