new to sea fishing...

richjones

hello there, im off camping to west wales tomorrow and i was hoping to get a bit of fishing in over the 2 days im there

im new to sea fishing but have bought a cheap beachcaster and some heavier line as im thinking il be using it a few times over the summer

il be at a couple of surf beaches near abersoch, which im guessing are probably good for bass.

i need to know an effective but simple rig, i was thinking maybe a running leger with a nice lead that i can cast a fair distance.would this work ok, and what kind of hooklength and lead weight would i need?

other thing is what would be the best bait to use, bearing in mind i really dont mind what i catch, id just like to land a couple of any size. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

hello there, im off camping to west wales tomorrow and i was hoping to get a bit of fishing in over the 2 days im there

im new to sea fishing but have bought a cheap beachcaster and some heavier line as im thinking il be using it a few times over the summer

il be at a couple of surf beaches near abersoch, which im guessing are probably good for bass.

i need to know an effective but simple rig, i was thinking maybe a running leger with a nice lead that i can cast a fair distance.would this work ok, and what kind of hooklength and lead weight would i need?

other thing is what would be the best bait to use, bearing in mind i really dont mind what i catch, id just like to land a couple of any size. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Hells Mouth Beach is good. From Abersoch, follow the signs for Llanengan village and look out for the signpost for Hells Mouth. I would use a single hook paternoster rig, baited with sandeel, rag, king rag or peeler crab if you can get it. Be prepared to use extra lead...the tide rips can be fierce!

Moggy

Hells Mouth Beach is good. From Abersoch, follow the signs for Llanengan village and look out for the signpost for Hells Mouth. I would use a single hook paternoster rig, baited with sandeel, rag, king rag or peeler crab if you can get it. Be prepared to use extra lead...the tide rips can be fierce!

Moggy

Hi Moggy,

What sot of distance does he have to cast?

Hi richjones,

If your lobbing out heavy leads mate you will need a rod that will do the job, plus heavy line if it is a clean beach is not required, 15lb is ample with a shock leader, I always use tapered shock leaders. You can get away with a cheapish fixed spool reel, and I am guessing that is what you are using, a cheap multiplier is a waste of time for distance casting mate.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Moggy,

What sot of distance does he have to cast?

Hi richjones,

If your lobbing out heavy leads mate you will need a rod that will do the job, plus heavy line if it is a clean beach is not required, 15lb is ample with a shock leader, I always use tapered shock leaders. You can get away with a cheapish fixed spool reel, and I am guessing that is what you are using, a cheap multiplier is a waste of time for distance casting mate.

Hiya Ken...as far as I remember it was not a steep beach, but there were gullies where Bass could hide. It was fairly clean too...not too much rotten bottom. But if I were him I'd be off to Anglesy...not too far away and lots of good marks there...Penmon point is always worth a try, and there are loads of rock marks on the S.W. coast where there are perhaps more species to go at. Not as far to cast but of course rotten bottom, so take plenty of cheap terminal tackle.

Moggy

My biggest fish were caught using simple tackle. Single hook, ledgered, two to three foot trace. Don't worry about distance too much. I've caught 5lb Bass less than a rod's length out, and a 19lb cod 20yds out.

To start with, fish close in, and use big baits, big hooks. As you learn to cast, of course it helps on some beaches. A steep beach is best fished close in particularly from high and the first couple of hours of the ebb. Big fish patrol along a few yards out, waiting for food to be dragged down by the undertow during the ebb.

Nights are the most productive on most beaches, Spring tides usually the best too.

Just after an onshore blow is also a prime time to fish a big bait close in.

Hot clear suny days are 99% useless, unless you are after mackerel.

thanks guys. as far as i remember from visiting hells mouth when i was younger, it is very shallow until quite far out, no deeper than 3 or 4 foot

does anyone know anything about porth ceiriad? this beach seems a little steeper and i might give this a try.

Is it worth looking for lugworms for hookbait?

thanks guys. as far as i remember from visiting hells mouth when i was younger, it is very shallow until quite far out, no deeper than 3 or 4 foot

does anyone know anything about porth ceiriad? this beach seems a little steeper and i might give this a try.

Is it worth looking for lugworms for hookbait?

As Mike said you can catch big fish just a few yards out even in shallow water but the best time for that is after dark and on a rising tide.

Lug is a good bait for bass and flatties, I noticed an estuary close to the first beach you chose, could be some good marks there. Go into the local tackle shop and buy some worm and ask a few questions :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

hi there richjones

i usualy use a 2/0 to 3/0 hook on a running ledger with rag always woked well for me

hope you have a good day fishing when you go

tight lines

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator