Whitehaven and St bees head

Martin Hurst

Tueday Evening - Managed to dig around 30 ragworm and with a box of squid sneaked a late evening paddle near the North pier at Whitehaven.

martinsphotos005.jpg

Its normally a banker for decent plaice but 2 hours brought only a couple of very skinny flatties ( I wouldnt even hazard a guess as to what they were but gave a beermat a couple of inches!)

martinsphotos007.jpg

The wind was getting up so landed and was immediately accosted by a lovely chap with a 1000 questions , gave him this site so say hello when you turn up!!

Wednesday - Todays plan was to launch on the main beach and head south to seamill but the sight that greeted me was too good to miss the opportunity to venture around the imposing sandstone cliffs that make up St Bees Head.

martinsphotos009.jpg

Its a great summer venue for Bass and the usual species so I wasnt expecting a great catch and so it turned out. Just out from the beach a porpoise broke water 2 or 3 times but would he stay still for the camera!! anchored up in 25ft of water over sand and quicly landed a small Dab but that was it for 30 mins. Continued around the South heads and clipped onto some buoys , but remained fishless again. Its rough old ground and when both rods got stuck I unclipped and headed into Fleswick bay for a cuppa , being met by a flottila of kayaks on my way around

martinsphotos016.jpg

martinsphotos018.jpg

martinsphotos019.jpg

Suitably refreshed I put the rods away and plucked up the courage to head around the North heads underneath the lighthouse. I was greeted by sheer cliffs and 45ft of water 10 yards out , plus literally 1000's of Gannets , Oyster catchers , Guillemotts , cormorants etc , an awesome sight and sound as they prepared there nests for the family to come!

martinsphotos023.jpg

martinsphotos021.jpg

martinsphotos022.jpg

An hour flew by but by now a nasty chop had developed so I headed home , freelining a large ragworm on the way back , with a large swivel for weight. A small pollock surcumed which was shaken off and swam strongly into the depths.

What a fantastic atmospheric Aug /Sept venue this is!! I'll be back!! After a good kip however :rolleyes:

martinsphotos014.jpg

Ok Prowler 13

You were lucky all those birds didn't want to give your Prowler the 'white' look. That could have been messy!!!

Fantastic coastline, hopefuuly summer is just around the corner.

Cobra Tourer

OK Scupper Pro

Dorset