Inflatable sit on top

reid5665

Thinking of getting my first kayak. Should I get an inflatable (affordable now) or wait till I can

afford a rigid.

Like Nifty states: wait til you can afford a rigid. I had the same dilemma when I started out. The fact is that the rigid is far more practical and safer. However, having stated that I am now thinking of adding an inflatable to my fleet. The thought of being able to walk in/down to a quiet, unapproachable cove/bay, with an inflatable on my back (weather conditions favourable, and all health and safety boxes ticked...before you safety gurus start spouting) sounds quite appealing ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an inflatable: a Gumotex Sunny. Chose it as a compromise between a fishing yak for me and a play boat for messing around with the family in. Does both brilliantly, loads of room for me and enough space for 4 of us when we are playing. Obviously I have to be very careful fishing with hooks flying around (would hate to be the subject of local news headlines 'Idiot sinks own blow-up boat with fish-hook!'), but I'm getting the layout of the boat sorted out so I can fish safely. The material it is made of is very strong so I'd be unlucky to hole it...

I have to admit I'm not as adventurous as some of the guys on here: I don't venture too far out and I'm aware that inflatables are blown by the wind so I take care then. But it's been a good buy. I bought it from Germany much more cheaply than the £300 it would cost here. I don't think though that I would have bought it if I'd had to pay the full price: then I would have gone for a rigid.

John

I bought an inflatable: a Gumotex Sunny. Chose it as a compromise between a fishing yak for me and a play boat for messing around with the family in. Does both brilliantly, loads of room for me and enough space for 4 of us when we are playing. Obviously I have to be very careful fishing with hooks flying around (would hate to be the subject of local news headlines 'Idiot sinks own blow-up boat with fish-hook!'), but I'm getting the layout of the boat sorted out so I can fish safely. The material it is made of is very strong so I'd be unlucky to hole it...

I have to admit I'm not as adventurous as some of the guys on here: I don't venture too far out and I'm aware that inflatables are blown by the wind so I take care then. But it's been a good buy. I bought it from Germany much more cheaply than the £300 it would cost here. I don't think though that I would have bought it if I'd had to pay the full price: then I would have gone for a rigid.

John

Hey John, why don't you buy a cheapo rubber doormat and hang it over the side where you reel in to, as a anti hook device!. You could put a hole in one corner and have it tethered in case it falls off, plus you can then lift it clear of the water when moving, just an idea for a cheap solution to the hisssssssssssss issue ha ha :thumbs:

SDD~~~~ :thumbs:

That's not a bad idea SDD, I hadn't thought of doormats though I'd been looking at carpet off-cuts! Could then get some nice wallpaper and an aspidistra on a pot-stand to complete the front hall look. Seriously though, it is the landing of fish which is the riskiest part because that's when the hooks are flying about. I use a landing net and longer rods so I can keep the fish away from the yak, then I can lift it into the crate at my feet to unhook it.

John

Having worn a drysuit whilst fishing during the last two years I still haven't put a hook in it. Given the thickness of the material used for inflatable kayaks, providing you're careful I can't see it being much of an issue.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

That's not a bad idea SDD, I hadn't thought of doormats though I'd been looking at carpet off-cuts! Could then get some nice wallpaper and an aspidistra on a pot-stand to complete the front hall look. Seriously though, it is the landing of fish which is the riskiest part because that's when the hooks are flying about. I use a landing net and longer rods so I can keep the fish away from the yak, then I can lift it into the crate at my feet to unhook it.

John

Only trying to help, never mind eh

Sorry SDD, I didn't mean to give the impression I was knocking your idea. I wasn't at all, it's a good one and I'll try it. My humor didn't translate into a quick response. I had looked at carpet offcuts from our lounge but figured they'd get too wet and heavy, rubber mats are a much better solution. Thanks for the advice.

John

Sorry SDD, I didn't mean to give the impression I was knocking your idea. I wasn't at all, it's a good one and I'll try it. My humor didn't translate into a quick response. I had looked at carpet offcuts from our lounge but figured they'd get too wet and heavy, rubber mats are a much better solution. Thanks for the advice.

John

No probs at all pal!! the problem with text is that it is an emotionless medium! ha ha. The word "fine" can mean great go ahead, unless my missus says it when I want a pass out ha ha :D

I actually like the idea of inflatables. The freedom to just chuck in the boot and go must be fantastic!

All the best

Dave