canal setup .Help needed

geddon

Hello

I have never fished a canal before but have the next few weeks free so want to give it a go.

I was wondering how i should go about this.I have a carp rod and usually use floats but how should i fish a canal?Ledger or float?Pole is not an option I aint spendimg money on a new rod:).

Also if it is float fished should i be on the bottom or just of the bottom.I always think that if my bait is on the bottom then my float wont go under if i get a bite but will just move.

I'm very new to fishing at 28yrs old but am very keen and love going out trying even if I don't catch:))

thnx cya

Do you have any way to find out what species and what sizes are usually seen on the section of canal you plan to fish?

Is it just empty canal banks or does it have bridges, boat moorings, etc. available?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

John - you were probably thinking of Dang, Ouch, Drat, or even a stronger term.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you have to fish the canal with a carp rod, at least scale down the rest of the tackle you use. You will find light lines, small, slim floats and tiny hooks tend to get the best results on most canals. I tend to use a self-cocking float with just a couple of dust-shot to help the bait (usually maggot or caster) to sink. The bait is best kept just off the bottom, fished close to any weed or lillies. Regular loose-feed keeps the fish in the swim. If you're used to catching carp, then a canal bream will come in like a wet rag!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Hi mate, no problem we will get you going on a canal, I've had decades of canal experience so...

It sounds like you only have a Carp rod, not totaly ideal on all canal venues but depends on where you intend to fish.

If I were you this is what I would do, I would fish with the lightest line and waggler combo you can on your Carp rod which really isn't ideal for most canals but I guess something like a 2.6lb main line and a 1.5lb hook length should sort of be ok but be prepared to go easy on the fish you hook.

Try to find a swim with a feature like a tree or overhanging bush on the other bank and catapult maggots as close as you can, then cast as far as you can to the far bank where more often than not the better fish will be.

Second attach is the far shelf as it drops into the so called boat channel, again do the same thing, feed and fish that line too.

You could also feed the inside line with a little soft groundbait which will work well but again your Carp rod is really too heavy for most normal canals that don't have Carp.

If you don't want the expense of a pole the consider a nice 12ft light canal rod, then you could fish 1.5 line and 1lb hook length, and finer hok too, you will be able to hit more bites and land anything from a Gudgeon to a canal Carp using one.

Hope this info is of some help mate, please let us know where you intend to fish.

Hi again.

Thnx for the help.It soumds like I need a hole new setup.At current I have a carp rod with 12 IB mainline and 8 IB braid hooklength.This could explain my lack of luck in just about everywhere i go from ponds to lakes.

I'm gonna invest in a light rod and line before I try the canal.

Btw the canal I'll be fishing is in the small heath area of Birmingham.I think it's known as the watering hole.

thnx for the advice I shall take it onboard.

Leave your Carp gear at home and invest in something like this rod that seems to be a snip at £26!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Affiliate-Offe..._match_rod.html

All you need for lighter fishing on most canals is something like 1.5lb/2.6lb mainline, 1lb/1.5lb hooklength with small wagglers and hooks from 22-16, that should handle most species you will come across, and if not get the Carp rod out !

Hi again.

Thnx for the help.It soumds like I need a hole new setup.At current I have a carp rod with 12 IB mainline and 8 IB braid hooklength.This could explain my lack of luck in just about everywhere i go from ponds to lakes.

I'm gonna invest in a light rod and line before I try the canal.

Btw the canal I'll be fishing is in the small heath area of Birmingham.I think it's known as the watering hole.

thnx for the advice I shall take it onboard.

Why not invest in a whip and try something totally new? Say a 4m job. They're really cheap £5-£10. Then get some light line. Say 2lb. A few small floats. Crow or jackdaw quills work really well fished bottom end only. Some really small shot, size 8-12. Then a small fine wire hook. About size 18. Then feed a thumbnail sized nugget of really wet white bread crumb every cast at 4m and fished punched bread on the hook. Good luck.