Float fishing for Carp

fish_surrey

I've looked over several articles regarding this method of fishing for Carp. From what I can gather the correct rig set up for this is to use either a straight or bodied waggler attached to the line with a float rubber and then a single shot, heavy enough to set the float, about 6 inches from the hook. If I've got this right, as the Carp takes the bait, the float will lift out of the water. Is this method correct? And if not, which one does the job?

Fish Surrey

What you've described will work fine. I do quite a bit of margin float fishing for carp, and I like to use a small Drennan Loaded Carp Crystal float, with nothing else on the line other than the baited hook. As the bait is normally quite weighty in itself (lobworm or large piece of paste), all that's needed is an underam swing and there's very little disturbance as the tackle settles - ideal for close-in stalking. Bites are normally a bob or two, followed by a slow sail-away. You could equally well freeline the bait, but there's just something nice about watching a float. :)

What you've described will work fine. I do quite a bit of margin float fishing for carp, and I like to use a small Drennan Loaded Carp Crystal float, with nothing else on the line other than the baited hook. As the bait is normally quite weighty in itself (lobworm or large piece of paste), all that's needed is an underam swing and there's very little disturbance as the tackle settles - ideal for close-in stalking. Bites are normally a bob or two, followed by a slow sail-away. You could equally well freeline the bait, but there's just something nice about watching a float. :)

Couldn't agree more. I personally put a couple of size 8 shots down the line, one 6 inches above the hook and the next half way to the float. Gives a nice natural falling bait.

Nothing better than seeing that float slowly bob and slide under, when you've no clue what your hooking into. Next think you know is your clutch screeches off as you've landed a carp with attitude.

Edited by Rich Habbershaw

My float fishing hasn't been too successful, in fact I'm yet to catch a fish on the float, so I tend to go for the feeder. These loaded wagglers are a new thing for me, so I'll have a look at those and let you know how I do next time out.

Fish Surrey