I give up

Anderoo

Well, what can I say...after years of sticking to tradition and choosing to not coarse fish in the old closed season, I finally give in. At a local gravel pit a lot of good tench are being caught, and it's become too much to resist...a lot have been caught to almost double figures and by 16 June the party will be well and truly over (like last year).

So from now on I'm allowing myself to fish for tench in the closed season. There's a sensible rule everyone can stick to!

I'll be fishing half traditionally (float in the margin with worm as bait) and half, erm, not (method feeder on a gravel bar with boilies as bait). I fully expect tradition to lose that battle too...!

Charges of hypocrisy will, of course, be taken in good grace :unsure:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what can I say...after years of sticking to tradition and choosing to not coarse fish in the old closed season, I finally give in. At a local gravel pit a lot of good tench are being caught, and it's become too much to resist...a lot have been caught to almost double figures and by 16 June the party will be well and truly over (like last year).

So from now on I'm allowing myself to fish for tench in the closed season. There's a sensible rule everyone can stick to!

I'll be fishing half traditionally (float in the margin with worm as bait) and half, erm, not (method feeder on a gravel bar with boilies as bait). I fully expect tradition to lose that battle too...!

Charges of hypocrisy will, of course, be taken in good grace :unsure:

Dear oh dear! You 'd never catch me sitting behind bite alarms in the close season! :headhurt::rolleyes:

Rich

I cracked last week, I'm afraid. Last year, I lasted until Jun 3, but I heard too many rumours of tench being caught. Anyway, I had my first tench of the year, a wee one of about 3lb, on floatfished maggot, and a few pretty rudd. I fished the hard water, though, eschewing the overstocked puddles.

Oh, and look at these beauties, balsa on peacock bodied wagglers from Drennan. Drennan are calling them "Tench Perfection".

floats.jpg

Edited by Steve Walker

Wilde once boasted that he could pun on any subject, so someone challenged him with 'The Queen' - to which he replied, 'The Queen is not a fitting subject'!

I need some new floats - I'll see if my local shop has any of those Steve. I tried floatfishing this pit last year and the undertow made it impossible unless I used something very heavy, which I didn't want to do. Those look nice and stable though.

Rich, are you going tomorrow? I'll need someone to take the photos :P:lol:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Wilde once boasted that he could pun on any subject, so someone challenged him with 'The Queen' - to which he replied, 'The Queen is not a fitting subject'!

I need some new floats - I'll see if my local shop has any of those Steve. I tried floatfishing this pit last year and the undertow made it impossible unless I used something very heavy, which I didn't want to do. Those look nice and stable though.

Rich, are you going tomorrow? I'll need someone to take the photos :P:lol:

I'll be there! I'm going tonight! I'll ring you at 2am when I need someone to photograph my double! :P:P

Rich

I'll be there! I'm going tonight! I'll ring you at 2am when I need someone to photograph my double! :P:P

Rich

Fine, but remember that it has to be 10 POUNDS and not 10 OUNCES :thumbs:

See you in the morning old boy! I'll be there about 5.30ish.

Despite fighting tooth and nail for keeping the closed season I must admit that we seem to have been missing out on the best tench fishing of the year! April and May on the waters I fish are much better than June ever was!

Hard to change but I admit that Im now quite happy to coarse fish all year round.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger

We got a few decent tench last night, got them on the ledger rod on small peices of luncheon and red maggot. I had to laugh at my m8 he put on a peice of butterd bread and jam and got a four pounder! Our biggest was just over 6 lb. Got a couple of decent Perch also on the red maggot.