Small fishery advice please

stavey

Hi all

A farmer friend of mine has a small spring fed lake on his land located in the sussex weald, he has given me the ok to do some work on it and if everything is alright i will stock it with carp tench and roach and use it as a private little fishery for myself with the family and few friends.

First would it be right to get the water tested? if so can anyone tell me where i could get this done? the water looks very clear, the farmer recons that there is a lot of copper in the streams that feed it but i think he might mean iron? also only a very small part of it receives any direct sunlight from spring to late autumn as it is shrouded by a canopy of trees blocking the suns rays, should i get rid of a lot of this? i dont think there is any fish already resident as it looks lifeless and there is not much plant life either, apart from a few reeds in the margin at the end where the bit of sun gets, the bottom appears to be clay in between the heavy covering of dead leaf's, the lake is only about half an acre and i stick tested to a couple of feet out from the bank and there seamed a couple of foot of water detph.

I would be greatful for any advice about fish stocking for a lake of this size and what size and species would be best suited? i would hope that carp would be ok in it along with a few tench and maybe roach but i am all new to this sort of thing and i have'nt a clue but i am willing to learn as i go on, so fire away anyone please i am all ears thanks, stavey.......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi all

A farmer friend of mine has a small spring fed lake on his land located in the sussex weald, he has given me the ok to do some work on it and if everything is alright i will stock it with carp tench and roach and use it as a private little fishery for myself with the family and few friends.

First would it be right to get the water tested? if so can anyone tell me where i could get this done? the water looks very clear, the farmer recons that there is a lot of copper in the streams that feed it but i think he might mean iron? also only a very small part of it receives any direct sunlight from spring to late autumn as it is shrouded by a canopy of trees blocking the suns rays, should i get rid of a lot of this? i dont think there is any fish already resident as it looks lifeless and there is not much plant life either, apart from a few reeds in the margin at the end where the bit of sun gets, the bottom appears to be clay in between the heavy covering of dead leaf's, the lake is only about half an acre and i stick tested to a couple of feet out from the bank and there seamed a couple of foot of water detph.

I would be greatful for any advice about fish stocking for a lake of this size and what size and species would be best suited? i would hope that carp would be ok in it along with a few tench and maybe roach but i am all new to this sort of thing and i have'nt a clue but i am willing to learn as i go on, so fire away anyone please i am all ears thanks, stavey.......

I'd contact your local EA office, they'd have to be involved in the stocking (or at least they have to give permission) I'd imagine they would be able help and maybe able to do all you want and more for not much or even free?

Rich

I'd contact your local EA office, they'd have to be involved in the stocking (or at least they have to give permission) I'd imagine they would be able help and maybe able to do all you want and more for not much or even free?

Rich

Hi rich, will do thanks very much :thumbs: cheers........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi

the EA are obviously a good starting point but remember they are a government agency and have that way about them.

You can also get some very good advice from any local fish sellers that may be near you. As a club secretary we have had lots of very usefull info about water quality stocking etc. all for free.

You will need to buy your fish from someone so find the company you trust and talk to them.

John

You need to know the quality of the water, what natural food is there, depth, oxygen levels, a full study of the weeds present.

Then for a lake half acre in size, do what most do, and put about 100,000 small carp in! :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John