North Devon Mackeral here!

Pav

Don't know how far behind everyone else I am! , but got out for a paddle today and my feelings were confirmed. Lots about.

Bass can't be to far behind.

BBQ tonight!

Good news Pav, where did you go out to? I have been meaning to get up to Ilfracombe to see

what the launch situ is like up there.

Cheers

I paddled from Lee Bay to Ilfracombe. About 1 1/2 hrs if fishing.

Ilfracombe can be a bit of a pain. There is a nice slipway but at times has a gate across it locked (which is a pain to lift a yak over). There is a small cove as you enter the habour but that involves a steep climb out (path , but a bit of an effort with heavier yaks). Be aware that a strong current can flow here! Pick your times for an easy paddle..... oh just another point, the slipway is only reached paddling at high tide.

I find Westward Ho! an easy place to launch. Park by the arcades. Concrete slip, then sand. Great fishing along the rocks, you'll find reference to westward ho! in most fishing spot guides.

Nice one, a very timely report, as I am taking the yak out tomorrow at Hele bay, which is next door to Ilfracombe. I love mackeral to eat, to fish for,to fish with, to salt/smoke and eat later, I just wish the they grew much bigger. :D

Wish me luck

Peter

Parking can be free if you are lucky or early and find a space on the road , otherwise you have to pay in the car park which if memory serves is about 50-70p an hour, I will know for sure tomorrow :rolleyes:

peter

just for info i took the mackeral on hookeyes, no bites on feathers. fished the 2hrs before the evenin high tide. Only about 20meters out from the cliffs.

for me it was chillie and garlic mackeral on the bbq!

the largest was 580g ! i enjoy the first mackeral of the year as they are always a lot larger than the summer mackeral.

Hope you get some.

Hi Pav,

I have had a great day. Did not catch any mackeral, but that was because i did not go out far enought ( I met some people who had caught some mackeral from a yak and they showed me where was best, but it was at bit far out and I am still on a learning curve here).

What was really surpising was we arrived at the beach midday and there was plenty of parking on the road :clap2: . When we got to the beach it had about 5 people on it , I couldn't believe it being a bank holiday etc.

I caught a couple of pollock and a couple of gars, however as we had family and friends most of my time was spent entertaining the kids.

cimg2618.jpg

Hi Pav,

I have had a great day. Did not catch any mackeral, but that was because i did not go out far enought ( I met some people who had caught some mackeral from a yak and they showed me where was best, but it was at bit far out and I am still on a learning curve here).

What was really surpising was we arrived at the beach midday and there was plenty of parking on the road :clap2: . When we got to the beach it had about 5 people on it , I couldn't believe it being a bank holiday etc.

I caught a couple of pollock and a couple of gars, however as we had family and friends most of my time was spent entertaining the kids.

cimg2618.jpg

Lucky gits! :D I fished Welcombe on Sat evening 2 hrs up to HT and an hour after and blanked. Which is weird 'cos it looks well fishy with all those mussel beds. Put out mackeral strips and squid on flappers about 50m out, then trolled feathers all around the bay, stopping occasionally to feather as well... nothing :schmoll: Still, beautiful spot. Too windy on Sunday, so went home