Taken the plunge

drumgerry

Hi all

This is my first post here so please be gentle with me!

I live in Morayshire (on the banks of the Spey as it happens) and I'm in the process of putting together the kit to go yakking in the Moray Firth and on the West Coast this summer. I've bought a Prowler 13 from Upandunder in the Ocean colour scheme - I'd have preferred the flame or mango flame but not too bothered. I'm told it's the New Zealand version I'm getting so is there anything that's particularly good or bad about that?? Paddle is a Lendal tourer model.

I've got my drysuit from wetsuitoutlet.co.uk (Crewsaver Hyperdry) and Yak PFD from there too. I've ordered an Icom M71 VHF and I'm trying to organise the necessary training for it. I've also ordered the stuff to make up the anchor trolley demo'd on AnglersAfloat. Last but not least the last of the big stuff I've got coming is a Humminbird 565 fishfinder.

My credit card is on fire!!!! :( :(

I'm sure there are a few other bits I'll need (oh I did order a paddle leash in case anyone's concerned!)

And I have never paddled a yak before. Hmmmm am I being a bit hasty with all of this? There are some nice shallow bays I intend to practice in before venturing any distance offshore. But I am well excited. I have a couple of years of freshwater float tubing under my neoprenes and that knocks normal bank and boat fishing into a cocked hat for fun and interest. I expect yakking is the same for seafishing only times 100!!!

I'm going to be dropping into the forum quite regularly I expect for advice once I get up and running. Been having fun readin the archives and looking forward to contributing what I can.

All the best

Gerry

Hello and Welcome to you - all sounds very good and the major purchases all seem in hand. :thumbs:

I managed to get hold of some 20mm webbing and some 8mm (i think) bungee, some webbing buckles and some stainless steel snap buckles. Had endless fun sewing up all sorts of straps and safety lines for rods reels etc. Can be very satisfying. you cant have enough straps and items like this!

Dont forget some of these: Flares, Dry bags, small net, rod holders, compass, GPS, crate, boots, first aid kit and it goes on and on.

Managed to reach the point were there are a few "I would likes" but dont have to get items. :headhurt:

I am sure you will get into this and look forward to your catch reports. Will we be seeing some Skate?

:thumbs:

Will we be seeing some Skate?

Erm - maybe a few mackerel if I'm lucky!!

Thanks for the welcome Gilbo. Yep know what you mean the list of stuff needed seems endless. There are a fair few things I haven't got around to yet cos I was getting the big stuff first but they are definitely in my sights now. I'm thinking of waiting a while before getting a GPS and will get a handheld one when I do. I thought about getting a combo GPS fishfinder but instead went for the Humminbird 565 - time will tell if I made the right choice.

Netwise - I wonder if my short handled wooden trout pan net that I use for the float tube would work? I have it on a bungee sitting in the back of my tube (Outcast Fatcat if anyone's interested) and stretch it round any time I catch anything big enough to need it which to be honest isn't often!

I think a trip to the chandlers will be needed for the flares though.

Any recommendations on the dry bags or boots or compass?

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Welcoma aboard. I'm based close to Aberdeen so not too far away if you want to meet up for a session some time.

Don't be fooled into thinking the sahllow bays are always the best place to start. Pretty much the biggest hazzard you'll face will be surf, so I'd avoid a shallow beach launch until you are more experienced at basic handling first. Much better to launch from a harbour or a sheltered bay like Findhorn.

Shallow beaches are OK in a flat calm though.... and we get lots of those up here don't we :D

For a compass I carry a silva hilwalking compass as a backup to my GPS, dead simple and does the job.

I use wading boots with my drsuit and apart from cold feet in the middle of winter they are great. I'm guessing you already have a pair?

I got a couple of dry bags for using on camping trips but to be honest I get so little water inside it isn't really necessary. I've never had more than a teaspoon and I have a US made P13.

All these new member :clap2:

Welcome to the forum and all these new OK Prowlers well happy kayaking.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Spanner and Yakdiver - thanks for the replies.

Spanner - you read my mind mate the shallow bay I had in mind was Findhorn! It's about a half hour drive to me so probably my closest saltwater. I wonder if they mind you fishing in it given the salmon and seatrout runs up the river. I'd be well up for meeting for a session! It'll be a few weeks before I'm completely set up and then I'll need to practice a bit. We'll need to fix something up - are yakfishers thin on the ground up here?

Compass-wise I thought I might get one of those that fix on to the kayak - are they any good? I have some really good wading boots by a company called Korkers but they are fairly heavy. I've bought some Palm neoprene kayak shoes with a fairly substantial outersole so hopefully they'll work and they should be a good bit lighter than the Korkers.

Cheers

Gerry

Welcome to the madhouse drumgerry, boots wise i wear 5-10 canyoneers great boots very comfortable with great grippy & thick soles, not cheap At approx £60 a pair but i think they're well worth it, compass wise i have a silva 58 but have yet to fit it to the yak, i am using the gps built into my fishfinder at the moment but wanted the compass as a safety back up.

Thanks Snakey1! Yak should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully not too long before I'm out. Drysuit arrived today and I gave the OH a right good laugh with my antics getting it on. I think the latex seals need a trim - could hardly breather with the neck one on!!

Cheers

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gerry,

I'm in Buckie so not too far from you. Beginner like yourself, only been out once so far, from Portknockie. No fish caught but got to practise my re entry technique. Bit of a confidence booster to know all the good advice ref: getting back on and righting an inverted yak works! Like Spanner, I would be up for a meet sometime, work permitting!! How you getting on with VHF course? got a contact who can do 1 day course and testing for extremely reasonable price if you interested.

Hi Gerry,

I'm in Buckie so not too far from you. Beginner like yourself, only been out once so far, from Portknockie. No fish caught but got to practise my re entry technique. Bit of a confidence booster to know all the good advice ref: getting back on and righting an inverted yak works! Like Spanner, I would be up for a meet sometime, work permitting!! How you getting on with VHF course? got a contact who can do 1 day course and testing for extremely reasonable price if you interested.

Hey hey - a fellow Moravian yakker! Brilliant! Haven't been out yet in the yak but aiming to do so soon. Still rigging her at the moment. Likely to launch at Findhorn or maybe Roseisle when the time comes. Definitely need to meet up. I was over at Cullen harbour last week and it looks like the kelp beds just outside the harbour might be a good mark to try - definitely a chance of seatrout and who knows maybe one of the elusive Moray Firth bass! I have booked myself on to a course for VHF at Findhorn marina on 10th June so although I'd have definitely taken you up on your offer I'm committed to that now - thanks anyway!

All the best

Gerry

Edited by drumgerry