MCS Removes Northern Monk from “Fish to Avoid” List

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest challenge

So why now? they say that fishing is not the same as it was in the 90,s so why wait so long to say that a certain fish is no longer in danger? They scraped most of the boats from this fishery about 5 or 6 years ago at the same time as they introduced un- workable quotas for the same fishery. They have since relaxed the quota slightly (with there being very few British boats left to fish it) and traded the rest away in quota negotiations.

I suppose they submitted again to commercial fishermen’s lobbying powers.

:clap2::clap2:

So why now? they say that fishing is not the same as it was in the 90,s so why wait so long to say that a certain fish is no longer in danger? They scraped most of the boats from this fishery about 5 or 6 years ago at the same time as they introduced un- workable quotas for the same fishery. They have since relaxed the quota slightly (with there being very few British boats left to fish it) and traded the rest away in quota negotiations.

I suppose they submitted again to commercial fishermen’s lobbying powers.

:clap2::clap2:

Hi Challenge, in this instance i think it's commendable that a relaxation in the protection of a stock is possible. That can only be good news. By scrapping you do mean de-commissioning, at that time although sad, arn't the owners paid a market value, i.e. in the south west when five beamers were redundant, 5 mill was paid? The stock must be all important first as there will be no fishing if the stock is removed in the first place. I'm sure there are still enterprising skippers out there who will now target the new found stock and will negotiate with ben and co for the quota or am i correct in saying that there are quota traders within the commercial market whom they can buy from?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Challenge, in this instance i think it's commendable that a relaxation in the protection of a stock is possible. That can only be good news. By scrapping you do mean de-commissioning, at that time although sad, arn't the owners paid a market value, i.e. in the south west when five beamers were redundant, 5 mill was paid? The stock must be all important first as there will be no fishing if the stock is removed in the first place. I'm sure there are still enterprising skippers out there who will now target the new found stock and will negotiate with ben and co for the quota or am i correct in saying that there are quota traders within the commercial market whom they can buy from?

It's not a new found stock.

From what I understand there was never a need to put added restrictions on this fish, it was all based on inaccurate information from ICES, leading to excessive amounts of monks being dumped as fishermen were finding the opposite to what ICES were advising. Eventually

ICES admitted they were wrong and the quota was replaced to a workable level.

Meanwhile using out of date data the MSC who are advised by the WWF recommends that supermarkets remove monkfish from their fish counters and advices the public not to buy it by adding it to their so called "not to buy list". So another battle begins to prove them also wrong, which was not to difficult.

I think WWF should stick to tigers.

I fish to live and live to fish.

It's not a new found stock.

From what I understand there was never a need to put added restrictions on this fish, it was all based on inaccurate information from ICES, leading to excessive amounts of monks being dumped as fishermen were finding the opposite to what ICES were advising. Eventually

ICES admitted they were wrong and the quota was replaced to a workable level.

Meanwhile using out of date data the MSC who are advised by the WWF recommends that supermarkets remove monkfish from their fish counters and advices the public not to buy it by adding it to their so called "not to buy list". So another battle begins to prove them also wrong, which was not to difficult.

I think WWF should stick to tigers.

So accourdingly Wurzel, the decommissioning of 100 trawlers, closing of deepwater fisheries etc within the MSC report should never have happend because there was no shortage of stock in the first place. What also happend where there had to be excessive amount of monkfish dumped. Why were they caught in the first place only to be dumped. Seems like a terrible waste all round to me. If ices are putting out this inaccurate imformation, then they should be dumped as well to save even more waste.Like the tiger bit.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

So accourdingly Wurzel, the decommissioning of 100 trawlers, closing of deepwater fisheries etc within the MSC report should never have happend because there was no shortage of stock in the first place. What also happend where there had to be excessive amount of monkfish dumped. Why were they caught in the first place only to be dumped. Seems like a terrible waste all round to me. If ices are putting out this inaccurate imformation, then they should be dumped as well to save even more waste.Like the tiger bit.

Hello Barry

The decommissioning of the trawlers was to do with cod and haddock nothing to do with monk fish, I don't think the deep water fisheries were closed, as France was allocated most of the quota for deepwater species British boats that had turned to this fishery as a alternative from cod and haddock had to stop fishing.

Monk fish are caught by trawlers as part of the catch not as a targeted species, if you have no quota for them there is no choice but to throw them back. It's the same for me, if I get to sea tomorrow I'll be targeting soles and bass but the chances are while doing so I'll catch two or three box's of thornback due to ICES advice that thornbacks are endangered in the North Sea I will have to throw 90% of them back, when we are seeing more thornbacks than ever and have been for the last two or three years. It just does not make sense and when the greens jump on the band wagon it gets ridiculous.

Hello Barry

The decommissioning of the trawlers was to do with cod and haddock nothing to do with monk fish, I don't think the deep water fisheries were closed, as France was allocated most of the quota for deepwater species British boats that had turned to this fishery as a alternative from cod and haddock had to stop fishing.

Monk fish are caught by trawlers as part of the catch not as a targeted species, if you have no quota for them there is no choice but to throw them back. It's the same for me, if I get to sea tomorrow I'll be targeting soles and bass but the chances are while doing so I'll catch two or three box's of thornback due to ICES advice that thornbacks are endangered in the North Sea I will have to throw 90% of them back, when we are seeing more thornbacks than ever and have been for the last two or three years. It just does not make sense and when the greens jump on the band wagon it gets ridiculous.

Thanks for that Wurzel, as i understand thornbacks as a bycatch you are allowed 25%? personally i have seen more this year already. Regarding monkfish discard, was there no bycatch allowed for them?

Hello Barry

If there is no quota it means you are not allowed to retain a single fish.

As a 25% by catch

If I catch 10 stone of soles for my days work I'm allowed 2 1/2 (5 fish) stone of thornback the rest get thrown back thats the system, thats management.

Hello Barry

If there is no quota it means you are not allowed to retain a single fish.

As a 25% by catch

If I catch 10 stone of soles for my days work I'm allowed 2 1/2 (5 fish) stone of thornback the rest get thrown back thats the system, thats management.

I know there are quota traders so i suppose if someone wanted say more cod they could buy some quota if it's about. When the initial quota is set it appears that all the big boys and the eu boats get loads but the local smaller boats appear to get the crumbs is that correct. Then i have to ask if the quota system could be worked so the smaller commercials get a fairer share and let the bigboys do a bit of haggling to get what they want second in line. Is there an alternative. Don't forget when the rsa get streamlined by defra and co they could become part of the qouta system. 'Please sir can i catch another one.'

Regarding quota i have read a report where the eu when fishing around the african continent, buy the rights anually to catch so many tons of fish, many of these 17 fisheries are in decline, so in a sence the eu are exploiting the stock to the detriment of the locals, if this is correct then we are part of that as well. Are other eu countries de-commissioning or are they carrying on subsidizing their fleets.