Mentalist Jack Pike

VSTOL Lures

Went down to the pond on base this morning around 6am for a spot of Piking. I chucked on a trusty 7 inch firetiger shallow diver in the hope of avoiding the Jacks and nailing one of the two 20 pounders that lurk in the venue. Anyway, after about 10 minutes I'm pulling the lure back through the weedbed when I feel a knock (felt like I'd snagged). When I got the lure to the bank, a bloomin' Jack of about 20 cm was hanging on one of the trebles! The lure was longer and certainly fatter than he was! I still don't know how he managed to get his chompers around the (substantial) treble hook.

Just goes to show that big baits aren't always a sure way to avoid small Pike! They really are nailing anything that swims at the moment!

Visit http://www.vstol.vstore.ca UK based suppliers of artificial lures for sea, game and coarse fishing!

He he he, little buggers. Should've livebaited with 5lb carp ! :P

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Hehe yes but I don't think the club treasurer would be very happy at me using his stock for bait!

Anyway, who needs livebait and all the associated hassle when you can turn up and chuck in a lure ;)

Visit http://www.vstol.vstore.ca UK based suppliers of artificial lures for sea, game and coarse fishing!

Guest Brumagem Phil

Get one of the base residents to hover about 10 feet off the surface....should blow all the water out the pond and make locating the big uns a bit easier!

Get one of the base residents to hover about 10 feet off the surface....should blow all the water out the pond and make locating the big uns a bit easier!

Phil I'm surrounded by those bloody things all day, I've no wish to see one when I'm fishing ;o)!

Guest Fenix
I've had little jack pike attacking sweetcorn as I reel it back in to cast again! I've had them bite my hook off when using worm aswell. Our river is full of them and they eat absolutely anything.

Na,your line would have snapped rather than the pike biting through it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: