River fishing

Anderoo

Apart from a few high-profile stretches of prime rivers, I think it's fair to say that fewer and fewer anglers are fishing rivers these days. I know on the rivers I fish it's rare to see anyone else, and these are rivers where the fishing can be superb - the main example is the Thames. All the rivers I fish are by buying a club book(s) which generally have a couple of lakes and a few stretches of rivers. The lakes are invariably packed and the rivers deserted.

Which leads to my question. The controlling club pays the land owner an annual fee for its members to access that stretch. As demand for the stretch drops, presumably the fee remains the same. So, logically at some point the club makes the financial decision to stop renting the bankside as the demand cannot justify it.

Is this what will happen? If it does, does that generally mean the fishing will cease to be available or could it end up as free fishing (depends on the landowner I suppose)?

Also, will the prime stretches be taken over by small, high-paying syndicates?

I'm getting a little concerned that before long there'll only be one type of fishing in this country - the type which will make it very easy to get fishing completely banned.

Thoughts?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The BAA have dropped some waters in the last few years. I suppose the main one I can think of which was forced on them was Top Barn on the Severn, this went syndicate by the land owner. £50 and acces is still not great and there alot of pegs that still un-fishable. I know somebody who joined it but has dropped it for the above reasons.

The Teme and Severn has quite a lot of privately owned stretches, this is increasing year by year too.

Mind you there is still a lot of the Severn that is untouched.

Paul

River Ribble is getting busier & busier these days, I think every man & his dog wants to catch a barbel. <_<

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I cant vouch for every club But i know when i was on the committee of a club we rented most of our waters from one main landowner it came as package lakes and river this said the river was an excellent barbel and chub water anyway so we didnt mind the deal.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I'm not sure how my club rents land etc but I know they hold a lot of matches on the rivers which probably helps the finances.

I understand where you are coming from though....most of tke lakes on my club books are like holiday camps....packed in the summer and impossible to get a single swim let alone a good one. The river on the other hand seem to be very, very quiet.

Suits me though and come June 16th I'll be able to get a bit of peace away from the crowds....real fishing!

Suits me though and come June 16th I'll be able to get a bit of peace away from the crowds....real fishing!

That's the thing though - it's great while it lasts but can it last?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's the thing though - it's great while it lasts but can it last?

The only way is to to avoid barbel. Where there are barbel there will be syndicates and crowds of people and litter! Other stretches will remain quiet and I think we will lose a lot! The other option is to put in alot of effort to find some decent fish and don't tell anyone ever, which is really sad.

By the way I've found a great bit of river closeby, breaking my own rules I know it has barbel to double figures but most of all its gorgeous and must have good other species!

Just a thought, have you considered making your own club? I'm tempted!

Rich

The thing I love about club books is that they give you access to so much water for so little money. For £40 a year anyone can fish miles and miles and miles of 4 different rivers near me, including loads of the Thames. You're right, Rich, that if there were barbel there in any numbers, it would be very busy - but then at least the fishing rights will most likely be kept.

Has anyone got examples of clubs losing stretches of rivers because of lack of angler demand? Did they become free fishing or no fishing?

Well i don't know about what the rules are but there is a strech of the regents canal in London that used to be rented by LAA and they issued day tickets. i understand that they gave up their rights as British water ways wanted to put the price up. Now i suppose British water ways own the rights but they don't operate baliff's so people just fish it for free. Its the same with a streach of the river stort i know. As i understand it Bishop stortford angling club owned the rights but i don't think they do now. the land is owend by herts council but i just fish it for free and have never seen anyone.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/