My fly fishing exploits - Part 3

Janet

Do you have other UK fish that respond decently to fly rod tactics?

I know from experience about catching chub and trout on a fly, and I know that Martin has had considerable success catching pike. He also tells me that perch will take greedily take a fly and that grayling are a good quarry.

I'm currently reading a lovely old book "Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish" which details how to catch rudd, roach, dace and bleak. I've also read of eels and even barbel occasionally being caught.

My feeling is that most species will take a fly if it's presented right.

Janet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Hi Janet

Good to hear you caught a fish regardless of it's size, which is quite unimportant in my book, trout will give you a good run for your money whether they be 6" or 6lb's.

Although I enjoy Salmon fishing I am essentially a trout angler at heart, there's nothing better than hooking a river Brownie.

Although they can be taken throughout the season our best time really is mid to late April when hatches are at their most prolific and the Trout feed greedily, from late July they become much more elusive and unco-operative.

Our beats have had a good number of 3 - 5lb trout taken this year, in the main our clients are salmon anglers but thanks to a visit from an ardent Trout fisher and a mention on his web site we have had repeat bookings from a fair few very experienced & fanatical Trout fishers who have expressed their delight with the quality of Brownies caught.

What's the average size of Brownie on your river? here they are around 1 - 1 1/2 lb.

There is no doubt that you will catch many more, large & small and will experience the same feeling of excitement each time, to see that rod tip bend is fantasic, to play the fish not knowing what size it might be until it jumps out of the water or you catch a fleeing glimpse as it cruises past, the uncertainty of whether it is lightly hooked all make the heart beat faster then comes the bonus, you successfully land your fish, what a moment.

I wish you many many more Janet, may your enthusiasim never wane and your rod always bend.

Well done and beautifully told. Thanks for posting.

Do you have other UK fish that respond decently to fly rod tactics? Back in the day I caught largemouth bass and bluegills with a fly rod but that was before fixed spool was well known and I really haven't been back to it. Bluegills on a 4 wt rod is exciting even though a 1 lb fish is a rarely seen monster.

Carp, barbel, perch, rudd, roach, pike, chub all take the fly. In fact probably all UK species will take a fly, though I can't say I've tried... who'd want to catch a minnow on a fly!? Of those I listed, carp and barbel are the hardest to hook up with; unless you chum for the carp, in which case a floating dog biscuit or bread crust type of setup works pretty well. Pike are great fun on fly tackle!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested, the interview I mentioned was broadcast this week. Thankfully Martin edited it quite well, and cut out most of the bits where I got myself tongue-tied! If you listen, you can hear me trying to supress the giggles! The evil old beggar didn't warn me it was going to be on, and I nearly sprayed my keyboard with coffee when I suddenly heard myself!

Radio Lancashire

Janet