Particles

james17

Just bought my first unprepared particles including hemp, pigeon conditioner and mixed bird seed.

Do these need to be prepared separately or can I mix them in advance and boil them together?

At what stage of preparation should flavour be added?

How long will they last after they have been cooked or can they be frozen?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James

Personally, I'd probably cook the hemp separately. The seeds/pigeon feed can be soaked for at least 3 days and then boiled.

One tip I learnt from Julian Grattidge, who does a lot of carp fishing, is to then blend about a third of the mix and add it back. This creates a lovely 'juice' to the mix.

Partcile mix can be frozen, but it's often an idea to leave it in a bucket to ferment a bit, stirring it every day or so.

Why would you want to add flavour?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was thinking about an article I read in one of the weeklies were I think it was swimstim was added to make a cloud of attraction, however blending some and adding it back would do that anyway and make a lovely trail for the fish to follow.

Thanks for the advice Elton

Personally, I'd probably cook the hemp separately. The seeds/pigeon feed can be soaked for at least 3 days and then boiled.

One tip I learnt from Julian Grattidge, who does a lot of carp fishing, is to then blend about a third of the mix and add it back. This creates a lovely 'juice' to the mix.

Partcile mix can be frozen, but it's often an idea to leave it in a bucket to ferment a bit, stirring it every day or so.

Don't know if it makes any difference but I have always boiled my seeds & then fermented them not the other way round. Must say the blending bit sounds good never tried that. Think your right about the flavours (none really needed) but i do like to put a tea spoon of flaked chilly in my hemp when I'm boiling it for the winter barbel. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Don't know if it makes any difference but I have always boiled my seeds & then fermented them not the other way round. Must say the blending bit sounds good never tried that. Think your right about the flavours (none really needed) but i do like to put a tea spoon of flaked chilly in my hemp when I'm boiling it for the winter barbel. :thumbs:

Chilly sounds like a good additive and cheap too, I might try that or some curry powder in one batch and compare with results from unflavoured seeds see if it makes a difference.

Just a thought, anyone ever tried or heard of raisins as bait?

Chilly sounds like a good additive and cheap too, I might try that or some curry powder in one batch and compare with results from unflavoured seeds see if it makes a difference.

No but you could try fermenting some in with your seeds and then pick a few out to try on the hook. let us know how you get on.

No but you could try fermenting some in with your seeds and then pick a few out to try on the hook. let us know how you get on.

Going fishing for a 24 hour session on thursday so i'll start soaking the mix tomorrow and then compare raisins results with other hookbaits: boilies, corn, meat etc.

Do the raisins need soaking though because they are soft already?

Going fishing for a 24 hour session on thursday so i'll start soaking the mix tomorrow and then compare raisins results with other hookbaits: boilies, corn, meat etc.

Do the raisins need soaking though because they are soft already?

Don't know, never used them, but i do know fish can get a bit apprehensive of large hook baits when your fishing over a bed of small particles so i should think a raisin might not be a bad thing to try. Just think it might get them to take on the flavour of the seeds a bit (try them both ways). I have done well in the past when feeder fishing for Barbel with hemp and party mix with a tiny bit of paste squeezed round a boilie stop on a hair rig.

Don't know if it makes any difference but I have always boiled my seeds & then fermented them not the other way round.

That's what I do. I soak for a few days, boil for about 30 mins and then leave for weeks. I've got some in the garage right now. I test it in my fish pond from time to time, just to see how nuts the carp in there are for it :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Two or three years back, I tried fermented sultanas, following a post by Newt on the subject.

Tried them on a club water where it's normally "a fish a chuck" on almost any bait.

The water is stuffed with rudd, roach, tench, carp and brown goldfish, with a few bream.

The sultanas were ignored by everything except skimmer bream. Got a dozen or so - and that from a water where in a bag of 100 mixed fish, you would normally expect just two or three bream. Bream are known to have a "sweet tooth" so perhaps that result is not very surprising.

Have not used sultanas since (bream are not my favourite fish)

Have never tried raisins though.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...