An evening's fishing, and fish spotting

Unimexsol

Just back from this evening's fishing. Myself and my brother in law had a couple of smallish perch and a tiny roach all on maggot. However I put the small roach out for pike but unfortunately instead of being livebait the little roach died. Next to where I fish there is a little pool which I walked round and using a torch to look in the water I saw what looked like a little Jack pike I estimated it as being about 2-3lbs from it's length. Quickly and quietly I went back to where my rod was (not in the water as I wouldn't leave a rod unattended!) and dropped the little roach right in front of the pike. I jigged it up and down a couple of times and then suddenly when I went to jig it again there was quite some resistance! There had been absolutely no sign of a bite on the float but by crikey this little pike had taken it. I struck and after a bit of fight I landed the pike. I'd underestimated it's weight by at least half! It was just on the bigger side of 6lbs, not huge but it really had some strength. Safely landed, unhooked and away it swam again.

We fished on but packed up at about 1am ish. Then we decided to walk along the canal to see if we could use the torch to see any other fish. We saw loads of little roach, dace and perch all of about 5-6 inches long, then suddenly my brother in law let slip a swear word as he pointed to where the torch was now showing 4-5 large perch. These all had to be well, well over a pound I threw a couple of maggots in to see if they'd eat them but they showed absolute indifference. We carried on walking up and saw loads of other fish, including a small jack of about 10-12 inches, a couple of tench to about 1lb, a couple of decent sized roach and a couple of other large fish which I wasn't able to clearly identify - I think that they were bream but they disappeared before I could be sure.

Sorry but no photo's of the pike as some lowlife stole my camera 'phone from the pub the other night and the replacement that I'm using doesn't have a camera.

I hope that sometime soon I'll be able to get 'photos of the big perch as I will now be targeting them next time I go fishing. An order of large worms to go please. :thumbs:

Nice thread mate, well written.

Sounded exciting. That pike must have been good fun to catch. There is something great about spotting a fish and then catching it.

Nice one :thumbs:

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear