Virtual Memory ? Plus more :-)

Norrie

Hiya, I was burning a Data DVD today, and got a message popup, telling me my Virtual memory Minimum was too low, and that Windows was going to increase it....

What does that mean??? Any ideas chaps...:):)

Is there anything I can do to increase it ??...

ALSO, I heard a guy on the radio, talking about a programme that can tell me all about the Installed Memory cards on my PC, any idea what it was ??, I have about 512mb Ram, but want to install more...

Cheers in advance...AGAIN.....:):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Norrie,

Virtual memory means that when Windows runs out of real memory it uses part of your hard drive as 'virtual memory.' If you go into Windows Help and search for virtual memory it explains how to increase it.

Two good programs that tell you about your computer's components are Belarc Advisor and Advanced WindowsCare2, both are free. If you have a book that came with your motherboard that would be handy but many can be found on-line if you do a search. Two major memory manufacturers can tell you exactly what you need for your computer, they are Crucial and Kingston.

Having a look inside the box does no harm either :)

Sorry I haven't supplied links but they are easily found with Google.

Ian

Edited by Ian FG

Hi Norrie,

Virtual memory means that when Windows runs out of real memory it uses part of your hard drive as 'virtual memory.' If you go into Windows Help and search for virtual memory it explains how to increase it.

Two good programs that tell you about your computer's components are Belarc Advisor and Advanced WindowsCare2, both are free. If you have a book that came with your motherboard that would be handy but many can be found on-line if you do a search. Two major memory manufacturers can tell you exactly what you need for your computer, they are Crucial and Kingston.

Having a look inside the box does no harm either :)

Sorry I haven't supplied links but they are easily found with Google.

Ian

Ian, Thanks for that..Just off for a wee look now...:)

I have had the inside open before, I fitted the Memory card thats in the pc now, and also fitted another DVD drive/writer....just cant be fussed to be honest.:):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Norrie, I use a programme called Everest, very good and totally free ! You can get it here

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"