bristol channel

headshine

after a year on the yak fishing devons water decided it was time to brave the fast currents of the bristol channel 10 minuits from home in clevedon.

so picked a small 10meter tide on sunday,with easterly winds the water was like a millpond. launched on the slipway under the pier at 4am then set off to wains hill a spot i'd always done well at shore fishing in winter for cod, not deep water but sits on a rag bed so naturaly attracts fish.

DSCI0043.jpg

arrived at the spot and let the anchor go let out plenty of rope and tried to hold bottom,felt the anchor tripping out so let out more rope till all 50ft was out and i was holding, i tried anchoring off at the stern but the yak was sitting side on in the tide and water was flying past at a good rate of knots so tied of at the bow and sat nicely in the tide race.

decided to use some frozen sandeel from the gorran haven trip as the rays are everywhere and after 20 minuits had a little 5lb thornback

DSCI0039.jpg

DSCI0038.jpg

next was a little strap conger around the 4-5lb mark

DSCI0041.jpg

DSCI0042.jpg

then finished on another very small strap at 2lb then the tide turned and i fished 2 hours up from low water without a bite by now the tide was touching the slip again so headed in.

not the best day fish wise but look out cod in the winter. ps sorry about the pic sizes all new to me :lol:

interesting report headshine, i have a few questions if u dont mind, i've recced the clevedon area for a launch but have been worried about the tide.

how deep is the mark?

how far offshore is it?

were you down or uptiding?

is wains hill east or west of the pier?

good catch

cheers mike

2007, bass, pout, silver eel

interesting report headshine, i have a few questions if u dont mind, i've recced the clevedon area for a launch but have been worried about the tide.

how deep is the mark?

how far offshore is it?

were you down or uptiding?

is wains hill east or west of the pier?

good catch

cheers mike

hi mike

the mark is about 10ft deep at low tide

the rag beds are uncovered on the spring tides and strech 50 to 100 yrds out, i was downtiding just off the beds between black rock and wains hill west of the pier near the big aerial masts

the tide was flying past me 3 hours after top and that was a neap tide dont think i'll try the springs just yet get a few more trips under my belt

Nice report.

Given the strong tides, as well as anchoring from the bow & if you haven't already worth using a quick release setup with your anchor. Could be very dodgy trying to retrieve a stuck anchor which can put the kayak side on to the tide.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

HI Headshine good report, nice to see you are getting out :thumbs: hope we get a trip in this summer

Regards YB

hi rob

nice too hear from you again, are you still fishing tuesdays or is the yak covered in cobwebs in the shed? tried meadfoot back in march didnt get much so you'll have to show me how its done :thumbs:

Well done.

Just been scanning the map thats equal to fishing st brides, newport on the welsh side. Thats pretty good going considering the how strong and scary the current is around here.

Some cracking cod fishing to look forward to later this year ;)

Location - South East Wales

Red Prowler 13